Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Recommended for you

The first-time winners of NASCAR's grueling Coke 600 and who might be next

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
The first-time winners of NASCAR's grueling Coke 600 and who might be next

Why the BMW M3 Touring was even faster than its sister M4 GT3

Endurance
Why the BMW M3 Touring was even faster than its sister M4 GT3

Why quirky Montreal will remain F1's true North American gem

Feature
Formula 1
Feature
Canadian GP
Why quirky Montreal will remain F1's true North American gem

Question of the week: Is more overtaking in F1 always better?

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Question of the week: Is more overtaking in F1 always better?

MotoGP considering reducing riders to one bike from 2027

MotoGP
MotoGP considering reducing riders to one bike from 2027

Toyota “nervous” of Hyundai threat ahead of WRC gravel season run

WRC
Rally Japan
Toyota “nervous” of Hyundai threat ahead of WRC gravel season run

1,101 miles of racing at Charlotte? Ross Chastain and Connor Zilisch are attempting it

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
1,101 miles of racing at Charlotte? Ross Chastain and Connor Zilisch are attempting it

Why Ducati has no doubts about Marc Marquez’s future

Feature
MotoGP
Feature
Italian GP
Why Ducati has no doubts about Marc Marquez’s future

Troublesome Abu Dhabi kerb being repaired

The sausage kerb added to the exit of the penultimate corner of the Abu Dhabi Formula 1 circuit is being repaired but is unlikely to receive revisions until next year's race.

Work performed on the kerbs at night after Friday practice 2

A long, 50mm high kerb was added between Yas Marina's final two corners ahead of this year's grand prix.

However, it was labelled not "F1 standard" by Haas driver Romain Grosjean after it started to break up during practice and caused several cars to skate along the top if a driver ran wide.

Racing Point Force India driver Esteban Ocon said it was "not good quality in the way it was made on top".

"It should be better for tomorrow," he said. "[But it] doesn't need to be as high as it is.

"You probably can lose time being on it and lose some load etc., but the problem is now if we go on it and break everything – so it could be dangerous."

One senior source told Motorsport.com that following tonight's repairs to the kerb, it is likely to be lowered for next year's Grand Prix, suggesting there will be no re-profiling this weekend.

Toro Rosso's Brendon Hartley is a fan of the kerb but admitted it was "pretty aggressive".

"You have to give the entry more respect," he said. "I'm all for it. Maybe it's potentially a bit high, especially if you go over it and you're effectively a passenger.

"We have to make sure cars aren't getting damaged unnecessarily for going off in a small way."

Hartley's teammate Pierre Gasly backed up GPDA director Grosjean's comments earlier in the weekend that F1 needed to revisit sausage kerbs entirely following Sophia Floersch's terrifying Macau Grand Prix crash last week.

"We also discussed the crash that happened in Macau," said Gasly of the drivers' briefing discussion over the Turn 20 kerb.

"In that case the sausage kerb didn't help because it just airborned the car.

"We should look at different options than sausage kerbs. It's the same at other tracks, you start sliding and hit one of these kerbs and start flying more than anything else.

"It stops you from going off track but in certain situations can make things quite unsafe."

Work performed on the kerbs at night after Friday practice 2

Work performed on the kerbs at night after Friday practice 2

Photo by: Jon Noble

Previous article Haas explains why it lodged Force India protest
Next article Surprising hypersoft pace limits Q2 options for top F1 teams

Top Comments

Latest news