Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Recommended for you

Why a wet Canadian GP could be "the perfect storm" for F1

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why a wet Canadian GP could be "the perfect storm" for F1

Audi’s Gabriel Bortoleto set for tough Canadian GP start ‘unless everyone else f**** it up’

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Audi’s Gabriel Bortoleto set for tough Canadian GP start ‘unless everyone else f**** it up’

Ollie Bearman: Haas "chasing our tail all weekend" with updates and Montreal bumps

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Ollie Bearman: Haas "chasing our tail all weekend" with updates and Montreal bumps

Super Formula Suzuka: Nirei Fukuzumi beats Ayumu Iwasa for first win for Rookie Racing

Super Formula
Suzuka
Super Formula Suzuka: Nirei Fukuzumi beats Ayumu Iwasa for first win for Rookie Racing

Lewis Hamilton’s new approach seems to work as he outqualifies Charles Leclerc again

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Lewis Hamilton’s new approach seems to work as he outqualifies Charles Leclerc again

DTM Zandvoort Qualifying 2: BMW strikes back, Lamborghini finds its pace

DTM
Zandvoort
DTM Zandvoort Qualifying 2: BMW strikes back, Lamborghini finds its pace

The fine lines that denied "faster" Kimi Antonelli in Canadian GP qualifying

Feature
Formula 1
Feature
Canadian GP
The fine lines that denied "faster" Kimi Antonelli in Canadian GP qualifying

Pierre Gasly anticipating "elimination game" if rain strikes Canadian GP

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Pierre Gasly anticipating "elimination game" if rain strikes Canadian GP

Perez holds clear-the-air talks with Racing Point

Sergio Perez says the air has been “totally cleared” with Racing Point following his comments that the Formula 1 team was starting to “hide things” from him on Thursday in Russia.

Sergio Perez, Racing Point in the press conference

Perez will leave Racing Point at the end of the 2020 season to make way for four-time world champion Sebastian Vettel, with his exit being confirmed two weeks ago.

Perez said on Thursday that some members of the Racing Point team had started to withhold information from him since his exit was announced, and called for greater transparency to aid the team’s bid for third place in the constructors’ championship.

“Since the news came out, some people inside the team tend to hide things, which I don't think is great,” Perez said.

"I think at the moment we just have to be as transparent as possible to make sure we achieve our goals, and make sure that we score as many points as we possibly can.”

In a post to his social media accounts on Friday morning ahead of opening practice for the Russian Grand Prix, Perez revealed he had spoken to Racing Point about his comments, and that the air had been cleared.

“I have known this team for seven years and they are like family,” Perez wrote.

“I have spoken to the team and they accept my explanation. There’s no way after seven years we can finish in bad terms, the air is totally cleared.

“And we all move forwards now. We all want the same thing: to score as many points and be successful in our remaining races together.

“We will push and go for more podiums in this 8th [sic] final races together.”

Read Also:

Teams often create exit strategies for drivers when they prepare to leave the team in order to prevent a carryover of information to a rival.

Perez is yet to finalise his plans to race in 2021, but confirmed on Thursday that he is in talks over remaining on the F1 grid next year.

The most likely landing spots for Perez are at Haas and Alfa Romeo, with neither team yet to announce any drivers for 2021.

“There has been obviously contact with a couple of teams and talks,” Perez said.

“I think in the next week or so, I will know exactly what is a realistic option, and what isn’t. But obviously that is something I will keep between the teams and myself.

“I think everyone deserves the respect. They have current drivers, they have current discussions. It’s something I will definitely keep for myself.”

Previous article Tickets now on sale for Eifel Grand Prix at the Nurburgring
Next article Aston Martin set for British racing green/pink livery mash-up

Top Comments

Latest news