Double podium for the McLaren GT team.
K-PAX Racing with Flying Lizard Motorsports celebrated their second win of the 2015 season and a double podium for Race 2, Round 7 of the Pirelli World Challenge. McLaren GT driver Kevin Estre won the race, and pole sitter Robert Thorne finished close behind in second. This marks not only the second win for the new car but this is also the first 1-2 finish for the brand new McLaren 650S GT3 worldwide.
Weather conditions were perfect as the cars sat on the front straight for the standing start, with Thorne sitting in first, and Estre in 5th. At the drop of the green, Thorne charged into turn one with the lead, and Estre jumped from 5th to 2nd, right on the tail of his teammate.
For the first half of the race, the two raced nose to tail, giving fans at Barber Motorsports Park and on the live web stream a show, closely but skillfully battling for first place. On lap 15, Keven Estre was able to get by Robert Thorne in turn 5 under braking and the two remained together for the rest of the race completing a 1-2 finish for the team.
Rounds 8 & 9 of the Pirelli World Challenge take place at Canadian Tire Motorsports Park, May 15-17.
"I'm really pleased with this result. It was an amazing race, and I had a great start. It was the first start of the season that was this great. I was right behind Robert and we had a fair fight for about 20 minutes. I passed him and pulled away a little. I was quicker of the two of us, but he was certainly faster in some parts. It was tough to get the move done. After I made the pass, we had a double yellow. I had to do everything again, but I had a great restart and the car was fantastic the whole time. Really happy with this result. K-PAX/Flying Lizard guys gave me a fantastic car for this event and I'm happy to get some points back.
"Fantastic race today! We had the launch dialed in, it was absolutely amazing. We have been working hard on the launch as it is such a critical part of this type of racing. Both cars were one and two by turn two and I couldn't be happier. We ran the whole race clean. Eventually Kevin worked his way by me. To K-PAX Racing with Flying Lizard Motorsports and McLaren, excellent job by everyone. It couldn't be a more perfect end to this weekend."
1. GT, (5), Kevin Estre, Lochau Austria, McLaren 650S GT3, 29.
2. GT, (1), Robert Thorne, Littleton, Colo., McLaren 650S GT3, 29, -4.271.
3. GT, (6), Ryan Dalziel, Windermere, Fla., Porsche 911 GT3R, 29, -5.297.
4. GT, (7), Olivier Beretta, Monte Carlo, , Ferrari 458 GT3 Italia, 29, -6.639.
5. GT, (4), Mike Skeen, Charlotte, N.C., Audi R8 LMS Ultra, 29, -7.330.
6. GT, (10), Michael Lewis(R), Laguna Beach, Calif., Porsche 911 GT3R, 29, -8.564.
7. GT, (12), Andy Pilgrim, Boca Raton, Fla., Cadillac ATS-VR GT3, 29, -8.726.
8. GT, (11), Bryan Heitkotter(A), Fresno, Calif., Nissan GT-R GT3, 29, -9.080.
9. GT, (16), Peter Cunningham, Milwaukee, Wis., Acura TLX-GT, 29, -12.666.
10. GT, (14), Duncan Ende, Los Angeles, Calif., Ferrari 458 GT3 Italia, 29, -13.563.
11. GT, (31), JD Davison, St Petersburg, Fla., Nissan GT-R GT3, 29, -13.914.
12. GT, (13), Ryan Eversley, Atlanta, Ga., Acura TLX-GT, 29, -14.430.
13. GT, (18), Bret Curtis(A), Austin, Texas, BMW E89 Z4 GT3, 29, -19.255.
14. GT, (20), Timothy Pappas(A), Boston, Mass., Dodge Viper GT3R, 29, -19.972.
15. GT, (19), Martin Fuentes(A), Mexico City, MX, Ferrari 458 GT3 Italia, 29, -20.402.
16. GT, (15), Henrique Cisneros(A), Miami, Fla., Ferrari 458 GT3 Italia, 29, -20.722.
17. GT, (30), Eric Lux(A), Buffalo, N.Y., Mercedes Benz AMG SLS GT3, 29, -20.918.
18. GT, (23), Christina Nielsen(R)(A), Aarhus Denmark, , Aston Martin Vantage GT3, 29, -21.289.
19. GT, (17), James Sofronas, Pound Ridge, N.Y., Audi R8 LMS Ultra, 29, -21.613.
20. GT, (21), Henrik Hedman(A), Ft Lauderdale, Fla., MercedesBenzAMG SLS GT3, 29, -21.856.
21. GT, (24), Jeff Courtney(A), Milwaukee, Wis., Audi R8 LMS Ultra, 29, -25.996.
22. GT, (26), Drew Regitz(A), Denver, Colo., Audi R8 LMS Ultra, 29, -26.284.
23. GT, (22), Dan Knox(A), Pilot Point, Texas, Dodge Viper GT3-R, 29, -29.342.
24. GT, (3), Frank Montecalvo(A), Highlands, N.J., Mercedes Benz AMG SLS GT3, 29, -29.972.
25. GT, (27), Bill Ziegler(A), Ponte Vedra, Fla., BMW E89 Z4 GT3, 29, -31.273.
26. GT, (29), Walt Bowlin(A), Tarpon Springs, Fla., Audi R8 LMS Ultra, 28, -1 lap.
27. GT, (28), Jorge De La Torra(A), Mexico, , Aston Martin Vantage GT3, 27, -2 lap.
28. GT, (25), Joseph Toussaint(R)(A), Houston, Texas, Porsche 911 GT3R, 26, -3 lap.
29. GT, (8), Chris Dyson, Pleasant Valley, N.Y., Bentley Continental GT3, 22, -7 lap.
30. GT, (9), Johnny O'Connell, Flowery Branch, Ga., Cadillac ATS-VR GT3, 18, -11 laps.
31. GT, (2), Nick Catsburg, Voorthuizen NLD, , Lamborghini GallardoGT3FL2, 1, -28 laps.
32. GTC, (32), Colin Thompson, Doylestown, Pa., Porsche 911 GT3 CUP, 29.
33. GTC, (34), Alec Udell, The Woodlands, Texas, Porsche 911 GT3 CUP, 29, -2.959.
34. GTC, (33), Sloan Urry, Salt Lake City, Utah, Porsche 911 GT3 CUP, 29, -4.387.
35. GTC, (35), Lorenzo Trefethen(R), Napa, Calif., Porsche 911 GT3 CUP, 29, -9.141.
36. GTC, (36), Phil Fogg_Jr, Portland, Ore., Porsche 911 GT3 CUP, 29, -9.306.
37. GTC, (38), Mitch Landry, Lake Charles, La., Porsche 911 GT3 CUP, 29, -14.937.
38. GTC, (40), Victor Gomez(R), San Juan, Puerto Rico, Porsche 911 GT3 CUP, 29, -20.050.
39. GTC, (37), Preston Calvert(R), Potomac, Md., Porsche 911 GT3 CUP, 28, -1:11.484.
40. GTC, (39), Eduardo Cisneros(R), Miami, Fla., Porsche 911 GT3 CUP, 28, -1 lap.
Time of race: 50 minutes, 46.654 seconds.
Average speed: 81.555 mph
Margin of victory: 4.271 Seconds
Lap leaders: Laps 1-14, #6 Robert Thorne; laps 15-29, #9 Kevin Estre
Fastest race lap: #9 Kevin Estre, 1:24.150 (101.818 mph)
Fastest qualifier: #6 Robert Thorne, 1:23.618 (102.466 mph)