Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Recommended for you

Audi’s Gabriel Bortoleto set for tough Canadian GP start ‘unless everyone else f**** it up’

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Audi’s Gabriel Bortoleto set for tough Canadian GP start ‘unless everyone else f**** it up’

Ollie Bearman: Haas "chasing our tail all weekend" with updates and Montreal bumps

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Ollie Bearman: Haas "chasing our tail all weekend" with updates and Montreal bumps

Super Formula Suzuka: Nirei Fukuzumi beats Ayumu Iwasa for first win for Rookie Racing

Super Formula
Suzuka
Super Formula Suzuka: Nirei Fukuzumi beats Ayumu Iwasa for first win for Rookie Racing

Lewis Hamilton’s new approach seems to work as he outqualifies Charles Leclerc again

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Lewis Hamilton’s new approach seems to work as he outqualifies Charles Leclerc again

DTM Zandvoort Qualifying 2: BMW strikes back, Lamborghini finds its pace

DTM
Zandvoort
DTM Zandvoort Qualifying 2: BMW strikes back, Lamborghini finds its pace

The fine lines that denied "faster" Kimi Antonelli in Canadian GP qualifying

Feature
Formula 1
Feature
Canadian GP
The fine lines that denied "faster" Kimi Antonelli in Canadian GP qualifying

Pierre Gasly anticipating "elimination game" if rain strikes Canadian GP

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Pierre Gasly anticipating "elimination game" if rain strikes Canadian GP

Supercars Symmons Plains: Broc Feeney ends winless run with dominant display

Supercars
Tasmania Super 440
Supercars Symmons Plains: Broc Feeney ends winless run with dominant display

Racing Point “surprised” by Perez criticism

Racing Point technical director Andrew Green says that the Silverstone Formula 1 team was “surprised” when Sergio Perez complained about how he is being treated since his departure was confirmed.

Sergio Perez, Racing Point RP20

On Thursday in Sochi the Mexican said that “some people inside the team tend to hide things”, adding that “we just have to be as transparent as possible to make sure we achieve our goals.”

After his quotes appeared online Perez had a talk with the Racing Point team management, which led to him issuing a clarification on social media, noting that the “air is totally cleared.”

Green stressed that any holding back of information involved only the 2021 programme, which is standard practice at any team where a driver isn’t staying on.

“Those conversations are for next year's car, basically,” said Green. “We're not excluding him from anything we're doing this year. It's in our interest to have him as fast as we can get him for the rest of the season. We're in a fight for the championship.

“It does us no good at all to start to treat him any differently. And we haven't done. And that's why we were surprised that instead of talking to us about any issues he had, the first we read about it is in the press. So that was a bit strange.

“But then when we spoke to him yesterday about it and asked him what it was he thought we were holding back, he realised that actually he was mistaken, and we weren't holding anything back. And we were open until within hours before the announcement.

“But one thing that we won't be discussing, we won't be talking about, is what we do for next year's car. But that shouldn't that doesn't prevent us from doing the job that we do now for this year.”

Read Also:

On Friday both Racing Points ran a revised suspension package as the team continues to update the RP20.

“So here there’s a rear suspension update, and quite a significant one,” said Green. “And a bit of front suspension as well, but mainly rear. And that's what the drivers were trying to tune this morning, and it seemed to give good results. So we're happy with the way it's gone so far.”

Perez finished the FP2 session in sixth place, while teammate Lance Stroll was down in 17th.

“We've got balance issues on the different tyre specs that we're running.” said Green. “The track is quite difficult as far as the tarmac is concerned, but I think Sergio was a lot more comfortable with the car to start with.

“I think Lance wasn't that uncomfortable with the car, he was just more uncomfortable with the way he was driving.

"And whenever we asked him about the car, he said, 'The car's okay, I just can't put a lap together. I just need more time to think about this.' There was a bit of overdriving going on, for sure.

“I think Sergio was a bit more relaxed, and just progressively built up. I think Lance may have gone in a bit too quick. But neither of them were reporting any big issues.”

Previous article Wolff: Talks over becoming F1 boss "never went anywhere"
Next article Verstappen: Honda honesty key in Red Bull F1 relationship

Top Comments

Latest news