Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Recommended for you

Rookie Dennis Hauger and overcoming the uncomfortable feeling ahead of first Indy 500

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Rookie Dennis Hauger and overcoming the uncomfortable feeling ahead of first Indy 500

NASCAR Hall of Fame Class of 2027 unveiled

NASCAR Cup
All-Star Race
NASCAR Hall of Fame Class of 2027 unveiled

Dale Earnhardt Jr. has a largely throwback All Star Race idea

NASCAR Cup
All-Star Race
Dale Earnhardt Jr. has a largely throwback All Star Race idea

Kevin Harvick on Natalie Decker: "I don't like to see a mockery made out of what our sport is"

NASCAR Truck
Charlotte
Kevin Harvick on Natalie Decker: "I don't like to see a mockery made out of what our sport is"

The milk of choice for every 2026 Indy 500 driver

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
The milk of choice for every 2026 Indy 500 driver

Enter the simulation - How GM tech accelerated Cadillac's F1 entry

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Enter the simulation - How GM tech accelerated Cadillac's F1 entry

NASCAR on Prime trackside coverage to feature several Cup Series legends

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
NASCAR on Prime trackside coverage to feature several Cup Series legends

WNBA star Caitlin Clark to serve as Grand Marshal for the Indy 500

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
WNBA star Caitlin Clark to serve as Grand Marshal for the Indy 500
Breaking news

British GP hopes boosted by government plan

The hopes of Silverstone hosting the British Grand Prix in July have been boosted by the latest UK government plan to resume live sport next month.

Stormzy, Rapper waves the finish flag while Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes AMG F1 W10 crosses the line

Following an address from Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Sunday night, the British government issued a 50-page document on Monday outlining plans to ease lockdown measures in the coming weeks.

The second phase of the plans includes "permitting cultural and sporting events to take place behind closed doors for broadcast, while avoiding the risk of large-scale social contact".

While this will not come into force until June 1 at the earliest, it has aided the chances of the British Grand Prix taking place in July behind closed doors.

F1 is currently working on plans to begin the 2020 season in Austria on 5 July, with the aim of establishing a "biosphere" in European races to protect those working in the paddock. 

Silverstone confirmed last month it would only run the British Grand Prix behind closed doors, but track chief Stuart Pringle said at the time he was "encouraged" by the government's early hopes of resuming live sport. 

Following the publishing of the guidelines, a Silverstone spokeswoman told Motorsport.com the track and F1 "remain in close dialogue regarding the ongoing situation and are assessing the feasibility of holding the British Grand Prix behind closed doors".

The UK government document said making major sporting events accessible to fans "may only be fully possible significantly later depending on the reduction in numbers of infections".

However, it remains unclear whether F1 personnel travelling from Austria to Silverstone would have to adhere to a 14-day self-isolation period that is set to come into force for international arrivals imminently.

Read Also:

The government guidelines require "all international arrivals not on a short list of exemptions to self-isolate in their accommodation for 14 days on arrival into the UK".

Should F1 fail to gain exemption for the paddock personnel travelling from Austria to the UK, it would complicate plans to run races at the tracks on consecutive weekends.

F1 is looking to run a grand prix at the Red Bull Ring in Austria on both 5 July and 12 July, potentially followed by two races at Silverstone.

An F1 spokesman told Motorsport.com on Sunday it "will wait to see the details and are in discussion with government regarding our plans to restart racing safely".

Previous article When Vettel crashed and triumphed in F1's last great title decider
Next article FIA proposes coloured rain light system

Top Comments

Latest news