Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Recommended for you

Sho Tsuboi calls for Super Formula engine overhaul as Toyota “can’t properly compete with Honda”

Super Formula
Sugo
Sho Tsuboi calls for Super Formula engine overhaul as Toyota “can’t properly compete with Honda”

FIA happy for F1's Macarena wings to stay, Red Bull had to do "more work"

Formula 1
Dutch GP
FIA happy for F1's Macarena wings to stay, Red Bull had to do "more work"

How much performance has each F1 team gained over 2026?

Feature
Formula 1
Feature
Dutch GP
How much performance has each F1 team gained over 2026?

NASCAR CEO Steve O’Donnell explains why he doesn’t necessarily mind driver fights

NASCAR Cup
NASCAR CEO Steve O’Donnell explains why he doesn’t necessarily mind driver fights

It might be time to get Bubba Wallace his own food and travel show

NASCAR Cup
Richmond
It might be time to get Bubba Wallace his own food and travel show

F1 fans praise Gabriel Bortoleto's brutally honest "Passenger Princess" appearance

Formula 1
Dutch GP
F1 fans praise Gabriel Bortoleto's brutally honest "Passenger Princess" appearance

Christian Horner announces UK book tour for new memoir following Red Bull F1 exit

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Christian Horner announces UK book tour for new memoir following Red Bull F1 exit

F1 launches new "Five Lights" campaign narrated by Colin Farrell

Formula 1
Dutch GP
F1 launches new "Five Lights" campaign narrated by Colin Farrell
Breaking news

Silverstone sets deadline for British GP decision

Silverstone has set a deadline of the end of April to decide if this year's British Grand Prix will go ahead.

Valtteri Bottas, Mercedes AMG W10 leads Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes AMG F1 W10 and Charles Leclerc, Ferrari SF90 at the start of the race

The COVID-19 pandemic has resulted in the first eight races of the 2020 Formula 1 season to either be cancelled or postponed.

No decision has yet been taken on the British Grand Prix, scheduled for July 17-19, but a number of international sporting events planned for the summer including the Olympic Games in Tokyo have already been called off.

The promoters of the British Grand Prix said on Wednesday that any decision on the race would have to be taken by the end of April.

"Silverstone and Formula 1 remain in close dialogue regarding the ongoing situation and are assessing the feasibility of holding the British Grand Prix on 17th – 19th July," a statement reads.

"We fully appreciate that other UK sporting events in July have taken decisions regarding their events, but it is important to highlight that their logistics and sporting arrangements differ from Silverstone's and, therefore, our timeline gives us until the end of April to make a final decision.

"The safety of our fans, colleagues and the F1 community will be our priority and we will continue to engage with the appropriate authorities."

In the most recent update issued by F1 issued last week, CEO and chairman Chase Carey said he anticipated a 15-18 race calendar starting in the summer.

The Canadian Grand Prix on June 14 currently stands as the first race yet to be scrapped. No decisions have been taken events in France or Austria either, both of which precede Silverstone on the calendar.

All major sports in Great Britain are currently suspended as the country remains on lockdown in a bid to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

No decision has been taken on the Wimbledon tennis championships, due to conclude one week before the British Grand Prix, but its cancellation looks likely amid ongoing emergency meetings.

The Premier League has been suspended until April 30, but concerns over the viability of football matches going ahead has already prompted the FA to cancel the remainder of a number of lower divisions' seasons.

Previous article How 'PAS' system shows Ferrari was on to DAS benefits
Next article Williams slump not because it doesn't have 'Pink Mercedes'

Top Comments

Latest news