Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Recommended for you

Man charged with burglarizing Greg Biffle's home after fatal plane crash, investigation ongoing

NASCAR Cup
Man charged with burglarizing Greg Biffle's home after fatal plane crash, investigation ongoing

Connor Zilisch couldn’t say ‘no’ to a Cup ride at Hendrick Motorsports

NASCAR Cup
Connor Zilisch couldn’t say ‘no’ to a Cup ride at Hendrick Motorsports

Kyle Larson shares his favorite Kyle Busch memory

NASCAR Cup
Kyle Larson shares his favorite Kyle Busch memory

Kyle Larson's Knoxville Nationals win brings Cup momentum too

NASCAR Cup
Richmond
Kyle Larson's Knoxville Nationals win brings Cup momentum too

Drivers like Connor Zilisch and Erik Jones show how Kyle Busch's legacy crossed generations

NASCAR Cup
Drivers like Connor Zilisch and Erik Jones show how Kyle Busch's legacy crossed generations

NASCAR declares 8/18 'Kyle Busch Day' as tributes pour in

NASCAR Cup
NASCAR declares 8/18 'Kyle Busch Day' as tributes pour in

Homestead will again host NASCAR championship weekend in 2027

NASCAR Cup
Richmond
Homestead will again host NASCAR championship weekend in 2027

Christian Horner to headline 2026 ABX NYC

General
Christian Horner to headline 2026 ABX NYC
Breaking news

Hockenheim deal 'has no exit clause'

Will Hockenheim remain on the F1 schedule?

View of the track

Jun.18 (GMM) Hockenheim's F1 future is up in the air.

The circuit has a contract with Bernie Ecclestone until 2018, whereby it annually alternates the German Grand Prix with the Nurburgring.

But F1 supremo Ecclestone and the Nurburgring on Tuesday announced they are close to agreeing a new deal to stage the German Grand Prix every year between 2015 and 2019 at the Nurburgring.

Hockenheim is furious.

"We have a contract, and it has no exit clause," Hockenheim chief Georg Seiler told the Mannheimer Morgen newspaper.

"The fact is that we will have a Grand Prix at Hockenheim in 2016 and 2018. Everything else is speculation."

However, Ecclestone said earlier that Hockenheim's contract is based on "special conditions" that would be void if the Nurburgring enters the fray with better terms.

The 83-year-old Briton insists it is only fair.

"The same applies to Hockenheim as well," Ecclestone told Germany's Auto Motor und Sport. "We could reach a new contract with them, on the same conditions that we have with other people."

The Nurburgring on Wednesday did not want to weigh in on Hockenheim's fury.

"We are not aware of the contractual details between Mr Ecclestone and the Hockenheimring," said Carsten Schumacher, representing the Nurburgring's new owners Capricorn.

"Therefore we can not judge and do not want to speculate on whether the race will take place in 2016 and 2018 at Hockenheim, or whether it would be possible for there to be two Formula One races in Germany," he added.

Schumacher said the Nurburgring had no choice but to issue the press release on Tuesday that so angered its Hockenheim counterparts.

"We had to respond," he argued, "after it was reported in the media that a contract between (Capricorn chief) Robertino Wild and Bernie Ecclestone had been closed."

Previous article Five-times British GP winner Alain Prost confirmed for Silverstone’s 50th GP parades
Next article 'Fight' sticker to stay on Mercedes after Schumacher coma

Top Comments

Latest news