Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Recommended for you

Lando Norris eyes Le Mans drive as McLaren endurance push heats up

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Lando Norris eyes Le Mans drive as McLaren endurance push heats up

Official Coca-Cola 600 entry list released, Katherine Legge locked in

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
Official Coca-Cola 600 entry list released, Katherine Legge locked in

Toto Wolff keeps Mercedes grounded ahead of crucial Canadian GP upgrades

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Toto Wolff keeps Mercedes grounded ahead of crucial Canadian GP upgrades

Kyle Kirkwood “here to win” Indy 500, not think championship

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Kyle Kirkwood “here to win” Indy 500, not think championship

How Alex Palou captured pole for the 110th running of the Indy 500

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
How Alex Palou captured pole for the 110th running of the Indy 500

Rossi, O'Ward, and Grosjean cars destroyed in huge Indy 500 practice crash

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Rossi, O'Ward, and Grosjean cars destroyed in huge Indy 500 practice crash

Josef Newgarden leads abbreviated Indy 500 practice marred by storms, major wreck

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Josef Newgarden leads abbreviated Indy 500 practice marred by storms, major wreck

Winners and losers from a strange NASCAR All-Star Race at Dover

NASCAR Cup
All-Star Race
Winners and losers from a strange NASCAR All-Star Race at Dover
Breaking news

F1 abandons short GP weekend idea - report

The only cost-cutting done for 2015 and beyond was in the already tightly-restricted area of testing.

Romain Grosjean, Lotus F1 E22

Jun.19 (GMM) F1 failed to make significant cost-saving progress at a meeting on Wednesday, Germany's Auto Motor und Sport reports.

Earlier, it was reported that the F1 Commission - involving the FIA, Bernie Ecclestone, the teams and other key stakeholders - voted through the proposal to cut Friday morning practice from next year's race weekend format.

But German correspondent Michael Schmidt reveals otherwise.

"The shorter GP weekend failed," he wrote on Friday, "due to opposition from the (race) organisers and the big teams that had earlier agreed."

And that's not the only proposal that hit the dust at Ecclestone's Biggin Hill airport, Schmidt explained.

"With one exception," he said, "every proposal was rejected by the 26-member panel."

The proposed ban on tyre warmers was another victim of Wednesday's meeting, but Pirelli has offered to pay teams that run its logo on the blankets next year EUR 200,000 each.

So, the only cost-cutting done for 2015 and beyond was in the already tightly-restricted area of testing.

All pre-season testing will now take place in Europe, as Bahrain was ruled too expensive a destination.

The eight days of in-season testing has been reduced to four in 2015, with two days reserved for young drivers.

And in 2016, winter testing will shrink from twelve to just eight days, with a total in-season testing ban to once again be enforced.

A team insider is quoted as saying: "Once again we have failed to save hardly anything, but at least the crazy idea of the shorter weekend is gone."

Previous article Alternatives' to Renault do exist for Red Bull - Mateschitz
Next article Massa says he can’t trust Perez, but FIA prepares to review Canada crash

Top Comments

Latest news