Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Recommended for you

Lando Norris: I hope Mercedes get a double disqualification in Las Vegas and forget to pit in Qatar

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Lando Norris: I hope Mercedes get a double disqualification in Las Vegas and forget to pit in Qatar

Why McLaren thinks Ferrari is quickest in Zandvoort, but may well be stuck

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Why McLaren thinks Ferrari is quickest in Zandvoort, but may well be stuck

“It’s just nuts” – Lewis Hamilton baffled by Ferrari’s tyre-warming struggle

Formula 1
Dutch GP
“It’s just nuts” – Lewis Hamilton baffled by Ferrari’s tyre-warming struggle

Why the F1 Dutch GP weekend has been a "wake-up call" for Kimi Antonelli

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Why the F1 Dutch GP weekend has been a "wake-up call" for Kimi Antonelli

Yuki Tsunoda: Racing Bulls is “pretty impressed” with my performance so far

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Yuki Tsunoda: Racing Bulls is “pretty impressed” with my performance so far

Why Lando Norris was “surprised” to claim Dutch GP pole position

Feature
Formula 1
Feature
Dutch GP
Why Lando Norris was “surprised” to claim Dutch GP pole position

Toto Wolff jokes about Max Verstappen's Red Bull deal: Mercedes has him for the most important races

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Toto Wolff jokes about Max Verstappen's Red Bull deal: Mercedes has him for the most important races

Supercars Ipswich: Broc Feeney secures unlikely Sprint Cup title after second weekend win

Supercars
Ipswich Super 440
Supercars Ipswich: Broc Feeney secures unlikely Sprint Cup title after second weekend win
Breaking news

Ecclestone agrees lower fee for 2016 Korea GP extension

Oct.12 (GMM) Bernie Ecclestone agreed to reduce the race fee as he extended Korea's Grand Prix contract through 2016, the AFP news agency reports.

Bernie Ecclestone, CEO Formula One Group, hand puppet on sale
Bernie Ecclestone, CEO Formula One Group, hand puppet on sale

Photo by: xpb.cc

F1's annual trip since 2010 to Mokpo is among the most controversial and least popular on the calendar, but promoter Park Won-Hwa said on Friday a new contract has been signed.

"We had to renegotiate with Mr Ecclestone and brought a few ideas and persuaded him that Korea cannot continue the event with such a big financial loss," he said.

"It took a long time, and in the end Mr Ecclestone agreed to make another contract," Park added.

The Times correspondent Kevin Eason said this week he cannot understand why F1 chief executive Ecclestone wants the poorly attended and questionably organised event to survive.

Park explained: "Mr Ecclestone thinks that it is important to have F1 in Korea as the country is a fast-growing country and benefits from a booming economy and fast-growing economy.

"It would be a huge strategic mistake to withdraw from this part of the world."

Still, F1's travellers dislike the remote location of the event and the so-called 'love motels' - usually occupied by prostitutes and their clients - they have to stay in.

"Seoul is a centre of activity," said Park.

"But Korea needed to highlight this rural and industrial area. We live in peace here with clean air, no pollution and a good environment.

"But we are trying to boost the area and build its image at the same time. This is the idea of the government behind the race."

Previous article Sebastian Vettel on top in Korea as Red Bull dominate Friday practice
Next article Korean GP - Red Bull Friday Practice

Top Comments

Latest news