Williams denies Rowland claims of 2018 seat talks
Oliver Rowland's team says it is in talks with Williams regarding a race seat for 2018, but the Formula 1 outfit denies that is the case.
Williams is currently assessing its options for the second seat alongside Lance Stroll in 2018, with Robert Kubica, Daniil Kvyat, Sergey Sirotkin and Paul di Resta in the frame.
Rowland, who holds the role of development driver for Renault and finished third in the F2 drivers' standings this season, has not previously been linked with Williams.
But on Friday, Rowland's team sent out a statement saying: "F1 Renault development driver Oliver Rowland is in talks with Williams about securing a seat for Formula 1 in 2018.
"The 25-year-old hasn't been considered an option until now, with Williams still undecided of who to put in the car next year."
Rowland added: "My team is in talks with Williams, as they are with other teams. British car, British driver it fits well.
"Lots of drivers seem to be in the frame for 2018, so we will just have to see what happens."
But when contacted by Motorsport.com, Williams said Rowland is not in contention for a race seat in 2018 and there have not been any discussions regarding that particular subject.
It is believed there have been talks between the two parties, with several options such as a reserve role or time in a 2018 car being mooted.
Williams is believed to want to sort out its race driver line-up before finalising its plans for the reserve role and any potential running of drivers in FP1 sessions.
The team insists it is in no rush to make a decision, with further meetings and analysis planned.
Rowland could not be reached for comment when contacted by Motorsport.com.
Hamilton: Hungary motivated me to beat Bottas "every single time"
Hamilton expects to continue in F1 until 2020
About this article
|Article type||Breaking news|