Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Recommended for you

NASCAR adjusts hot topic rules for Trucks and O'Reilly Series

NASCAR O'Reilly
Charlotte
NASCAR adjusts hot topic rules for Trucks and O'Reilly Series

'Joy' is the key to NASCAR on Prime's success

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
'Joy' is the key to NASCAR on Prime's success

Team Penske makes another pit crew change for Ryan Blaney

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
Team Penske makes another pit crew change for Ryan Blaney

The first-time winners of NASCAR's grueling Coke 600 and who might be next

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
The first-time winners of NASCAR's grueling Coke 600 and who might be next

Why the BMW M3 Touring was even faster than its sister M4 GT3

Endurance
Why the BMW M3 Touring was even faster than its sister M4 GT3

Why quirky Montreal will remain F1's true North American gem

Feature
Formula 1
Feature
Canadian GP
Why quirky Montreal will remain F1's true North American gem

Question of the week: Is more overtaking in F1 always better?

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Question of the week: Is more overtaking in F1 always better?

MotoGP considering reducing riders to one bike from 2027

MotoGP
MotoGP considering reducing riders to one bike from 2027

Perez decision on 2017 is delayed

Sergio Perez says he has been forced to delay a decision about his plans for 2017, after originally hoping to get things firmed up before this weekend's Singapore Grand Prix.

Sergio Perez, Sahara Force India F1

Formula 1 2017

The 2017 FIA Formula 1 World Championship promises a new era for the sport. New rules mean much faster, more aggressive-looking cars – and here you will find F1 news, photos and videos covering many topics such as: technological advancements, 2017 F1 rules, team and driver articles, in-depth analysis and expert opinion, and much more. You can also check out the 2017 F1 calendar, buy tickets and F1 merchandise.

Sergio Perez, Sahara Force India F1 VJM09
Sergio Perez, Sahara Force India F1 on the grid
Sergio Perez, Sahara Force India F1 VJM09
Sergio Perez, Force India F1 VJM09
Sergio Perez, Force India F1 VJM09

The Mexican has a contract with Force India for next season, but the deal depends on his sponsors agreeing fresh commercial terms to continue backing the outfit.

Although there seems little doubt that matters will get sorted for a fresh one-year contract, Perez said at Singapore on Thursday that things had not yet been finalised.

“I was hoping to be able to be in a position to announce my plans for this weekend,” he said. “We have some delays but I really hope before the next race we can definitely announce where I will be racing.”

Perez had been linked with both Williams and Renault, but is understood to have shied away from both because he wants to be a free agent for 2018 – when a Ferrari seat could be available.

When pushed on what his future was likely to be, he reiterated that he saw no reason to leave Force India right now.

“I always say I will be very happy if I can stay where I am,” he explained.

New rules

Perez also later explained that he believed Force India could continue to challenge the big teams next year, despite a major overhaul of the regulations.

“When you look at the past when we had regulation changes for 2014, in my third race [the Bahrain GP], I was on the podium for this team,” he explained.

“That went well for the new regulations so we have the potential to do so again. I hope we can move up and next year we will do another step up – although fighting with Ferrari, Red Bull and Mercedes will not be easy.”

Previous article Toro Rosso to continue with back-to-back tests in Singapore
Next article Gutierrez expects "reasonable step" from Haas updates

Top Comments

Latest news