Massa warns Ferrari exit could end Formula One career
Massa, admitted he needs to put his focus on the road in front of him.
Jul.26 (GMM) Felipe Massa has admitted he could drive off the grid altogether if Ferrari does not extend his contract beyond 2013.
The well-connected Brazilian newspaper O Estado de S.Paulo newspaper said Nico Hulkenberg and Paul di Resta are at the front of the queue if Ferrari decide Massa's struggle for results recently should end his long tenure.
Both candidates were not denying the speculation in Hungary.
"To tell you the truth," Force India's di Resta told F1's official website, "my management team is looking at what is best for me to move forward."
And Sauber's Hulkenberg is quoted by Frankfurter Rundschau: "Ferrari has a tremendous history and is one of the top teams.
"But as to my future, that's still wide open."
Massa, 32, admitted he needs to put his focus on the road in front of him.
"You can't drive with extra worry or fear," he told Brazilian correspondent Livio Oricchio. "I've never done that in my life.
"If I am forced to change, it would have to be somewhere else competitive, otherwise I wouldn't want to stay in Formula One," Massa insisted.
Globo quotes Massa adding: "I want to stay in F1, but to compete, not to (just) participate.
"If for some reason I do not have the chance to stay at Ferrari, I will try to go somewhere else.
"But if I can only go to small teams, I'm not interested," he insisted.
We want your opinion!
What would you like to see on Motorsport.com?
Take our 5 minute survey.- The Motorsport.com Team
Share Or Save This Story
Jules Bianchi's father speaks of family's continued hopes
Sauber under no illusions about constructors' position
Pirelli chief calls for radical F1 overhaul
Defendant ordered to pay £250,000 legal fees in Felipe Massa F1 title case
Felipe Massa’s F1 2008 lawsuit will proceed to trial
Felipe Massa's £64million legal claim update: Judgement reserved after three-day hearing
Lewis Hamilton rebounds to fifth after Ferrari fixes Friday struggles
"Either very right or very wrong" – Charles Leclerc explains Ferrari's bold choice for Dutch GP sprint
Why Charles Leclerc’s battle of the brakes has left him trailing Lewis Hamilton
Latest news
Toto Wolff jokes about Max Verstappen's Red Bull deal: Mercedes has him for the "real hero races"
Supercars Ipswich: Broc Feeney secures unlikely Sprint Cup title after second weekend win
Kyle Busch Remembered: Breaking records and bumping the pace car at New Hampshire
Ryan Preece needs a home run to make NASCAR Chase
Feature
What we learned from the 2026 F1 Dutch GP sprint race and qualifying
Why Williams problems are worse than previously known
The hidden benefit of Max Verstappen’s new F1 deal that Red Bull wants to exploit
The themes to watch for the rest of F1 2026
Subscribe and access Motorsport.com with your ad-blocker.
From Formula 1 to MotoGP we report straight from the paddock because we love our sport, just like you. In order to keep delivering our expert journalism, our website uses advertising. Still, we want to give you the opportunity to enjoy an ad-free and tracker-free website and to continue using your adblocker.
You have 2 options:
- Become a subscriber.
- Disable your adblocker.
Top Comments