De la Rosa not expecting McLaren return
After the demise of HRT, he doubts any chance of returning to McLaren.
Dec.27 (GMM) Pedro de la Rosa has acknowledged that, with HRT closing its doors, he is not expecting to simply stroll back into his job as McLaren's reserve driver.
"No, that's not true," he told the Spanish sports newspaper Marca.
"I took my road and I live with my decision, so I'm not going back to McLaren with their doors open wide, because I left twice."
Spaniard de la Rosa, 41, was arguably F1's most highly respected test driver when he accepted the challenge to become HRT's lead race driver in 2012.
He expected to stay in 2013, but the Spanish backmarker has all but officially folded.
As for his chances of returning to McLaren, de la Rosa admitted: "I've been unfaithful and so it is normal to be starting from scratch.
"I am confident that I will continue in F1 as a test or reserve driver, but there is no guarantee of anything."
Meanwhile, de la Rosa said his season at the back of the grid with HRT was not his worst in F1.
"I especially liked working at McLaren -- there can be no doubt," he told f1news.ru.
"My least favourite team? Sauber. I did not like that they blamed every problem on the driver, not the car, which obviously did not have the speed."
We want your opinion!
What would you like to see on Motorsport.com?
Take our 5 minute survey.- The Motorsport.com Team
Share Or Save This Story
Jules Bianchi's father speaks of family's continued hopes
Sauber under no illusions about constructors' position
Pirelli chief calls for radical F1 overhaul
Aston Martin claims F1 chassis is “fifth-fastest” at some tracks
Aston Martin: Jonathan Wheatley isn’t joining “for the time being”
Aston Martin ends F1 Bahrain test early
You Ask The Questions: Robert Kubica
Lewis Hamilton 'almost signed for Sauber' before F1 debut, says Peter Sauber
F1 2025 season highlights: Fans crown Nico Hulkenberg's podium and Lando Norris's title as top moments
Latest news
Max Verstappen is yet to reach his peak, says former F1 team boss
Karun Chandhok "surprised" by length of Max Verstappen's Red Bull contract
John Hunter Nemechek switches to No. 40 for special anniversary
F1 Dutch GP: Friday schedule, weather forecast and how to watch
Feature
Why the Dutch GP is ending despite F1 wanting Zandvoort to stay
What Max Verstappen’s big deal means for his future, Red Bull and F1
Grading the class of F1 2026 so far
Carlos Sainz and Alex Albon give James Vowles a second chance at Williams
Subscribe and access Motorsport.com with your ad-blocker.
From Formula 1 to MotoGP we report straight from the paddock because we love our sport, just like you. In order to keep delivering our expert journalism, our website uses advertising. Still, we want to give you the opportunity to enjoy an ad-free and tracker-free website and to continue using your adblocker.
You have 2 options:
- Become a subscriber.
- Disable your adblocker.

Top Comments