Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Recommended for you

Max Verstappen's George Russell radio joke goes viral after Dutch GP qualifying

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Max Verstappen's George Russell radio joke goes viral after Dutch GP qualifying

NASCAR Cup New Hampshire starting lineup: Tyler Reddick on pole after 'unhappy' practice

NASCAR Cup
New Hampshire
NASCAR Cup New Hampshire starting lineup: Tyler Reddick on pole after 'unhappy' practice

F1 Dutch GP: Sunday schedule, weather forecast and how to watch

Formula 1
Dutch GP
F1 Dutch GP: Sunday schedule, weather forecast and how to watch

Kimi Antonelli frustrated after Turn 1 "mistake" cost him Dutch GP pole

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Kimi Antonelli frustrated after Turn 1 "mistake" cost him Dutch GP pole

F1 2026 qualifying head-to-head: Dutch GP

Formula 1
Dutch GP
F1 2026 qualifying head-to-head: Dutch GP

Why Max Verstappen’s 2026 Mercedes contact was very different from last year’s

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Why Max Verstappen’s 2026 Mercedes contact was very different from last year’s

This is the starting grid for the 2026 F1 Dutch Grand Prix

Formula 1
Dutch GP
This is the starting grid for the 2026 F1 Dutch Grand Prix

F1 Dutch GP: Lando Norris pips George Russell to dominant pole as rain threat looms

Formula 1
Dutch GP
F1 Dutch GP: Lando Norris pips George Russell to dominant pole as rain threat looms

May 23 (GMM) Ross Brawn should be firing on all cylinders as he returns to the pitwall in Monaco this weekend.

Ross Brawn, Mercedes AMG F1 Team Principal
Ross Brawn, Mercedes AMG F1 Team Principal

Photo by: xpb.cc

Mercedes' team principal sat out the recent Spanish Grand Prix due to illness, but a scarcity of extra information triggered speculation.

One rumour was that he is seriously ill, whilst another was that his absence may in fact be due to his German employer's high-stakes spat with Bernie Ecclestone.

The latter theory gained traction since Barcelona, with acting team boss Nick Fry taking a much higher than usual profile, including naming Paul di Resta as a possible 2013 successor for Michael Schumacher.

Explaining his absence, Brawn told Bild newspaper: "On the Tuesday before Barcelona I felt unwell so I went to the doctor and then stayed a night in hospital for some tests.

"When I got home, I decided on the advice of doctors to give myself a weekend off, to be sure that I am fit for Monaco," the Briton said.

Partly because of Brawn's deputy Fry's recent comments, and also due to his paltry points tally and his crash with Bruno Senna, rumours about Schumacher's future have intensified since Spain.

"A lot has been said and written," acknowledged Brawn, "but we should not forget that we - the team - have let him down in three of the fives races, not delivering the job we should have.

"We must do better," Brawn, who worked closely with Schumacher during the seven time world champion's ultra successful Ferrari era, added.

"We saw Michael's real quality again in the first race, so it's for that reason that I believe we will see him on the podium this year."

As for a possible contract extension for the 43-year-old, Brawn insisted: "When the time comes, we will sit down together and talk about the future.

"I'm sure it will become clear very quickly in what direction we will go."

Previous article Marussia team prepares for glitz and glamour race in Monte Carlo
Next article 'Banned for life' Maldonado lucky to be in Monaco

Top Comments

Latest news