Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Recommended for you

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - George Russell on pole for Montreal sprint

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - George Russell on pole for Montreal sprint

How Shell is helping teams in F1, NASCAR and IndyCar all fight for the win this weekend

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
How Shell is helping teams in F1, NASCAR and IndyCar all fight for the win this weekend

McLaren explains why it shelved new F1 front wing in Montreal

Formula 1
Canadian GP
McLaren explains why it shelved new F1 front wing in Montreal

Red Bull would "support" steps on F1 team alliances amid McLaren concerns

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Red Bull would "support" steps on F1 team alliances amid McLaren concerns

Silent NASCAR garage looks on as Richard Childress Racing unloads Coke 600 cars

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
Silent NASCAR garage looks on as Richard Childress Racing unloads Coke 600 cars

DTM Zandvoort Race 1: Matteo Cairoli takes maiden win as Lucas Auer takes championship lead

DTM
Zandvoort
DTM Zandvoort Race 1: Matteo Cairoli takes maiden win as Lucas Auer takes championship lead

Rain forces NASCAR to postpone Charlotte Truck race for the second time this weekend

NASCAR Truck
Charlotte
Rain forces NASCAR to postpone Charlotte Truck race for the second time this weekend

What Isack Hadjar learned from getting “beaten up” by Max Verstappen in Miami

Formula 1
Canadian GP
What Isack Hadjar learned from getting “beaten up” by Max Verstappen in Miami

Ferrari changes engine on both F1 cars after Vettel failure

Ferrari has changed the engine on both of its cars heading into final Formula 1 practice for the 70th Anniversary Grand Prix following Sebastian Vettel’s failure on Friday.

Sebastian Vettel, Ferrari SF1000 retires from the session

Vettel was forced to park up at the side of the track towards the end of second practice on Friday afternoon as a failure on his engine caused him to lose all power, with fluid leaking from the bottom of the car.

Ferrari revealed after the failure that it would be replacing the power unit on Vettel’s car, and sent the failed parts back to Maranello for further analysis.

Formal confirmation of the changes came from the FIA on Saturday morning shortly after the start of final practice at Silverstone, with Vettel taking a new engine, turbocharger and MGU-H.

But Ferrari also moved to make the same changes on teammate Charles Leclerc’s car as a precaution following the issues.

“After yesterday's engine failure on Seb's car, as a precaution we have changed Charles' power unit,” a Ferrari spokeswoman said.

“This is also penalty free as we have not exceeded the number of components allowed in the regulations.”

It marks a second usage of each element for both Vettel and Leclerc this season, with both remaining on their first MGU-K, energy store and control electronics.

The FIA regulations currently set a limit of two elements for the season for each part, but this is set to change as more races are added to the calendar beyond the current tally of 13.

Vettel said he had “no warning’ that his engine was about to fail in second practice on Friday, finishing the session down in 14th position.

“It was very sudden, and obviously a failure,” Vettel said.

“So now we have to see what it is, but it will probably take a couple of days, because the engine will get shipped back and then analysed.”

Ferrari is not the only team to have made engine changes ahead of the second Silverstone race weekend.

Red Bull drivers Max Verstappen and Alexander Albon have both received fresh Honda power units, while a raft of other drivers have also made some element changes.

Any new parts remain the same specification as those previously used due to a freeze on power unit development through the 2020 season.

Previous article Five rival F1 teams lodge appeal in Racing Point copying case
Next article Horner expects quick resolution to Concorde stand-off

Top Comments

Latest news