Williams also 'pretty good' 2012 option - Raikkonen
May 12 (GMM) Kimi Raikkonen has admitted his failed negotiations with Williams ultimately turned out for the better.
When he decided to try to return to F1 this year, the 2007 world champion negotiated at length with Williams.
When those talks faltered, he turned to his second option, and quickly came to agreement with the former Renault team Lotus.
The Enstone based team has been the surprise of the 2012 season so far, and in Barcelona Finn Raikkonen is arguably the overall favourite.
He was asked by Turun Sanomat newspaper if the performance of Lotus, his only actual option for a race seat this year, has surprised him.
"Well, I had another option," said the 32-year-old, referring to Williams.
"It's hard to say what kind of results I would have had with Williams. They would have been pretty good as well but perhaps not quite as strong as we are doing now," said Raikkonen, who finished second in Bahrain recently.
He said he has not been surprised.
"Last year (as Renault) they weren't bad at the start of the season," said the former Ferrari and McLaren driver.
"But they had decided to put the exhaust at the front of the car and were not then able to develop the way they needed."
We want your opinion!
What would you like to see on Motorsport.com?
Take our 5 minute survey.- The Motorsport.com Team
Share Or Save This Story
Jules Bianchi's father speaks of family's continued hopes
Sauber under no illusions about constructors' position
Pirelli chief calls for radical F1 overhaul
Kimi Raikkonen goes viral with blunt two-word response to throwback F1 post
Otmar Szafnauer reveals failed Kimi Raikkonen bid involving "Angry Birds" founders
These are the youngest F1 drivers to lead the world championship
Lewis Hamilton’s new approach seems to work as he outqualifies Charles Leclerc again
Lewis Hamilton reveals touching reason behind his mother's Canadian GP appearance
Why some F1 team bosses think drivers shouldn't have a say in the rules
Latest news
LIVE: 110th Indianapolis 500 minute-by-minute updates
Layne Riggs wins wreck-filled NASCAR Truck race at Charlotte
Driving Kyle Busch's Truck entry, Corey Day okay after shock airborne crash
Pirelli F1 tests boost Ferrari, Red Bull for rainy Canadian GP – McLaren
Feature
The fine lines that denied "faster" Kimi Antonelli in Canadian GP qualifying
What we learned from the 2026 F1 Canadian GP sprint race and qualifying
Gloves off at Mercedes? Russell-Antonelli duel shows glimpse of F1 2026 battle
The details in Mercedes' Montreal F1 updates
Subscribe and access Motorsport.com with your ad-blocker.
From Formula 1 to MotoGP we report straight from the paddock because we love our sport, just like you. In order to keep delivering our expert journalism, our website uses advertising. Still, we want to give you the opportunity to enjoy an ad-free and tracker-free website and to continue using your adblocker.
You have 2 options:
- Become a subscriber.
- Disable your adblocker.

Top Comments