Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Recommended for you

Austin Dillon's heartfelt letter remembering RCR teammate Kyle Busch

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
Austin Dillon's heartfelt letter remembering RCR teammate Kyle Busch

“This is a serious matter”–why the FIA just fined Racing Bulls €30,000

Formula 1
Canadian GP
“This is a serious matter”–why the FIA just fined Racing Bulls €30,000

Max Verstappen’s feet were “flying off the pedals” as Red Bull explains Montreal struggles

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Max Verstappen’s feet were “flying off the pedals” as Red Bull explains Montreal struggles

NASCAR Truck race at Charlotte postponed by rain after emotional pre-race

NASCAR Truck
Charlotte
NASCAR Truck race at Charlotte postponed by rain after emotional pre-race

Jolyon Palmer explains Canadian GP energy management challenge

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Jolyon Palmer explains Canadian GP energy management challenge

NASCAR CEO: 'Family reunion' every weekend will never be the same without Kyle Busch

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
NASCAR CEO: 'Family reunion' every weekend will never be the same without Kyle Busch

Lewis Hamilton stuns F1 fans with Ducati superbike arrival at Canadian GP sprint qualifying

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Lewis Hamilton stuns F1 fans with Ducati superbike arrival at Canadian GP sprint qualifying

Here’s the starting grid for F1’s 2026 Canadian Grand Prix sprint race

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Here’s the starting grid for F1’s 2026 Canadian Grand Prix sprint race
Breaking news

Red Bull: 2016 engine deal secured

Red Bull has ended months of speculation about its Formula 1 future by confirming on Friday that it now has an engine deal in place for 2016.

Daniil Kvyat, Red Bull Racing RB11
Daniil Kvyat, Red Bull Racing with Christian Horner, Red Bull Racing Team Principal
Daniil Kvyat, Red Bull Racing RB11
Daniel Ricciardo, Red Bull Racing RB11
(L to R): Dr Helmut Marko, Red Bull Motorsport Consultant with Jean Todt, FIA President and his wife Michelle Yeoh
(L to R): Cyril Abiteboul, Renault Sport F1 Managing Director with Dr Helmut Marko, Red Bull Motorsport Consultant
Red Bull Racing RB11 being built in the pits
Daniil Kvyat, Red Bull Racing RB11 locks up under braking
Daniil Kvyat, Red Bull Racing RB11
Daniel Ricciardo, Red Bull Racing RB11

Although it has drawn short of confirming that it will be running some form of unbranded Renault power unit, team principal Christian Horner has says a deal has been finalised.

“We have an agreement for an engine for next year which we hope will be confirmed within the coming days,” said Horner. “It will have a development path – ironically of what we were trying to achieve 12 months ago.”

Horner's second reference is understood to be in relation to Renault's use of Mario Illien to help ramp up improvements in the power unit.

Renault F1 managing director Cyril Abiteboul told Motorsport.com earlier this month that it was considering Illien's involvement in a revamped F1 programme.

“We need to use all the energy and the resources that we have available,” he said. “I am absolutely not precious about where the solution is coming from – what I want is the solution. Full stop.

“There is no obligation [to take Illien], and there is nothing that is coming from us top down, from Red Bull. There is just a clear willingness to find a solution as quickly as possible.

Renault sign-off

Red Bull's announcement of its exact engine plan is believed to be on hold until Renault finalises its long-term F1 vision, as it continues discussions to try to bring about the return of a works team.

The plans for a takeover of the Lotus outfit and the return of a full manufacturer effort are yet to be signed off, and it is understood there is still no agreement in place with Bernie Ecclestone for the increase in commercial rights income that the manufacturer has been seeking.

That financial matter has been viewed as key to Renault CEO Carlos Ghosn giving the green light, and there remain concerns that without it he could yet pull the plug on it being in F1 altogether.

It is understood that fears of Renault quitting F1 were voiced in this week's F1 Commission meeting.

However, Red Bull's 2016 engine supply deal is understood to already have been agreed, which means a potential Renault withdrawal should not result in the team being left without engines.

A decision by Renault not to continue in F1 would leave the future of Lotus in doubt though, with the outfit having faced financial difficulties in the last few months.

In Abu Dhabi, its freight arrived late after delays in getting it to the track.

The team's owner Gerard Lopez suggested earlier this week that the issue with Ecclestone and FOM was key to the Renault takeover happening.

"I understand that Renault still have some things they need to clear with Formula 1 and FOM, but as far as we are concerned we are pretty much at a deal now," he said.

Previous article Ricciardo wants new direction from Renault
Next article Romain Grosjean's mixed emotions at final F1 race with Lotus before switch to Haas

Top Comments

Latest news