Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Recommended for you

Pato O’Ward braces for “street fight” after bumpy Freedom 250 practice

IndyCar
Washington, D.C.
Pato O’Ward braces for “street fight” after bumpy Freedom 250 practice

Lewis Hamilton rebounds to fifth after Ferrari fixes Friday struggles

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Lewis Hamilton rebounds to fifth after Ferrari fixes Friday struggles

Max Verstappen: Smaller team-mate gaps are down to "easier" cars as Andrea Stella disagrees

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Max Verstappen: Smaller team-mate gaps are down to "easier" cars as Andrea Stella disagrees

Regan Smith joins Kaulig Ram program for two NASCAR Truck races

NASCAR Truck
New Hampshire
Regan Smith joins Kaulig Ram program for two NASCAR Truck races

George Russell "more relaxed" as F1 2026 title is Kimi Antonelli's to lose

Formula 1
Dutch GP
George Russell "more relaxed" as F1 2026 title is Kimi Antonelli's to lose

What we learned from the 2026 F1 Dutch GP sprint race and qualifying

Feature
Formula 1
Feature
Dutch GP
What we learned from the 2026 F1 Dutch GP sprint race and qualifying

Max Verstappen feeling "flu-like" as Zandvoort exposes Red Bull's fundamental problems

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Max Verstappen feeling "flu-like" as Zandvoort exposes Red Bull's fundamental problems

Liam Lawson: I always knew 2025 could have been different - now you do too

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Liam Lawson: I always knew 2025 could have been different - now you do too

Monaco's new Swimming Pool apex “still a challenge”

Formula 1 drivers will still face a huge challenge through the revised Swimming Pool complex at Monaco, despite safety changes made for this year's race.

New kerbing at the Swimming Pool section
Vitantonio Liuzzi, Trulli
New kerbing at the Swimming Pool section
Antonio Felix da Costa, Amlin Aguri
Scenic Monaco
New kerbing at the Swimming Pool section
Monaco GP, May 2014
Antonio Felix da Costa, Amlin Aguri in trouble

As Motorsport.com reported earlier this month, tweaks have been made to the exit of the complex – Turns 15 and 16 – by pulling the barrier inwards and replacing it with a kerb.

While the change caused some issues at the recent Formula E event, when bollards seated in the kerbs kept getting knocking off, those problems will not be repeated this weekend because the cones will not be used.

Although the removal of the barrier at the apex means that drivers have more margin for error, former F1 drivers who have raced there think it is still just as hard to get right.

Vitantonio Liuzzi told Motorsport.com: “Yes it is definitely still a challenge there, even though it is a slightly different line and trajectory.

“You still have to find a good way to turn the car in with a lot of understeer.

“In the Formula E car, because it is so heavy, you find it harder to stop the car with the momentum all the way from the chicane area.

“I still think it is the toughest part of the circuit and you can gain quite a bit still and honestly touching the walls a lot at Monaco is a myth. You might do it a few times and get away with it but generally it is not worth the risk.”

Still a big spectacle

Bruno Senna thinks that the changes will not make a dramatic difference – and most importantly will still look good for spectators.

“I think in F1 it will still be a big spectacle,” he said. “The exit kerbs don’t seem so different to me but for the F1 it could see them having a slightly easier time in balancing the car and getting traction for the following section.” 

As well as the tweaks to the barriers at the Swimming Pool, resurfacing work has been carried out at various points of the track.

The track has also been re-aligned slightly at Tabac.

Previous article Hamilton "took his eye off the ball" in Spain – Hill
Next article Perez welcomes 2017 rule change plans

Top Comments

Latest news