Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Recommended for you

Franco Colapinto reveals details of Milan car robbery during F1 summer break

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Franco Colapinto reveals details of Milan car robbery during F1 summer break

F1 Dutch GP: Saturday schedule, weather forecast and how to watch

Formula 1
Dutch GP
F1 Dutch GP: Saturday schedule, weather forecast and how to watch

Mick Schumacher on IndyCar future: "I know where I’m going to be"

IndyCar
Washington, D.C.
Mick Schumacher on IndyCar future: "I know where I’m going to be"

Max Verstappen: Red Bull still lacking grip and balance after F1 Dutch GP sprint qualifying

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Max Verstappen: Red Bull still lacking grip and balance after F1 Dutch GP sprint qualifying

"Difficult to stop the car" - Honda's new engine comes with fresh but expected driveability issues

Formula 1
Dutch GP
"Difficult to stop the car" - Honda's new engine comes with fresh but expected driveability issues

Kris Meeke to make European Rally Championship return in Wales

ERC
Kris Meeke to make European Rally Championship return in Wales

Kimi Antonelli: F1 Dutch GP sprint qualifying off cost "25 points of downforce"

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Kimi Antonelli: F1 Dutch GP sprint qualifying off cost "25 points of downforce"

Ott Tanak to make ARA debut on WRC fact finding mission

WRC
Ott Tanak to make ARA debut on WRC fact finding mission

Madrid insists work to host F1 GP progressing "as planned"

Spain's capital has a deal to join the F1 calendar next year

gp-de-espana-en-madrid

Madrid's mayor has insisted that the work to host a Formula 1 race in the Spanish capital is progressing "as planned" ahead of its debut in 2026.

The city announced it had secured a 10-year contract with F1 to host the Spanish Grand Prix on a purpose-built hybrid circuit.

The track will feature street and non-street sections around the IFEMA convention centre and will have a length of 5.47km.

The aim of the City Council and the organisers of the race is to begin work on the facilities and the circuit in April.

Five offers have been submitted, two from two construction companies and three from business conglomerates, to lead the construction of the required facilities.

The deadline for the execution of the works to have everything ready for the grand prix is 14 months, so even starting in May would still give the city some margin, since the race is expected to be held in September next year.

Speaking on Monday to Europa Press, Martinez-Almeida urged to stay "calm" and insisted the race "will be held and will be a success."

Martinez-Almeida said all the parties involved are working "very intensely to be able to make it a reality" and that everything was moving forward "as planned".

Although it has not yet been announced who will finance the project, Martinez-Almeida said the funding will come from private companies and will not use public money.

The mayor was also critical of his political rivals claiming he will use public money for the F1 race, saying "the Spanish Government has provided 70 million euros for the America's Cup to be held in Barcelona or that the Catalan institutions spend 50 million euros for Formula 1 in Barcelona".

Barcelona has hosted the Spanish GP since 1991, although F1 CEO Stefano Domenicali said last year that Madrid's deal did not mean the Catalan circuit had no future on the F1 calendar.

"For the avoidance of doubt and to clarify here, the fact we are in Madrid is not excluding the fact we could stay in Barcelona for the future," Domenicali said.

"Looking ahead, there are discussions in place to see if we can really extend our collaboration with Barcelona, with whom we have a very good relationship, for the future."

Read Also:
Previous article The attribute that makes Antonelli special to Mercedes
Next article The two elements Ferrari will focus on in Hamilton's second test

Top Comments

Latest news