Hamilton backs Button for world title
Reigning world champion Lewis Hamilton has today backed Brawn GP's Jenson Button, the runaway championship leader, to finish the job off and take h...
Motorsport Blog
Motorsport Blog
Reigning world champion Lewis Hamilton has today backed Brawn GP's Jenson Button, the runaway championship leader, to finish the job off and take his title.
"I think Jenson's got a great chance, a great shot at it so I wish him all the best," he told Reuters' Alan Baldwin today.
"I think if I were to wish anyone (else) to win, it would be him."

It's quite an exciting prospect for British F1 fans to have two consecutive world champions. This used to happen in the 1960s when British drivers dominated the F1 scene. In 1962 to 65, we had Graham Hill, Jim Clark then John Surtees, then Clark again. And a few years later Graham Hill won the 1968 title and Jackie Stewart won in 1969.
Ferrari's Felipe Massa said to a group of us on Sunday that he believes it is impossible for him to catch Button now, with only 12 races to go and a 37 point gap. He would have to outscore Button at an average of 3 points a race to get in front and he doesn't see that happening.
Hamilton also appeared to rule himself out of the equation,
"We'll keep pushing to try and win races in the year but clearly defending the world championship is out of the question, " he said.
And looking forward to next Sunday's Monaco Grand Prix, it looks very much as though the track will suit Brawn, perhaps more than any track we have visited so far. The Brawn was easily the fastest car in sector three of the lap at Barcelona, which is all stop and start and traction out of slow corners. Button and Barrichello must start favourites there,
"I think it's a great story, so I wish him all the luck," said Hamilton. "They (Brawn) are going to have a great car there (in Monaco) so to beat them will be very tough.
"I don't think he has ever won there ... it will be a very special one for him to add to his list."
Special doesn't cover it. This is a fairytale season for the almost 'forgotten man' of F1. The championship beckons, but if he could win Monaco along the way...Share Or Save This Story
Subscribe and access Motorsport.com with your ad-blocker.
From Formula 1 to MotoGP we report straight from the paddock because we love our sport, just like you. In order to keep delivering our expert journalism, our website uses advertising. Still, we want to give you the opportunity to enjoy an ad-free and tracker-free website and to continue using your adblocker.
Top Comments