Formula 1's elimination qualifying back under the microscope in Bahrain
Formula 1 will continue with the controversial elimination-style qualifying format for this weekend’s Bahrain Grand Prix, with F1 commercial supr...
Motorsport Blog
Motorsport Blog
Formula 1 will continue with the controversial elimination-style qualifying format for this weekend’s Bahrain Grand Prix, with F1 commercial supremo Bernie Ecclestone there on site to witness it for the first time. But Mercedes boss Toto Wolff has warned fans to expect a similar outcome to the system’s much criticised debut in Australia.
Many fans and F1 observers expressed their frustration at the new system, which caused confusion among teams and spectators alike, and ended the Melbourne qualifying session early as several squads opted to only run once in Q3.

F1 team bosses convened the next day and voted to abandon the elimination format immediately. But last week the F1 Commission, which also comprises promoters, some sponsors and the tyre supplier than Pirelli, voted to give the system a second try at this weekend’s Bahrain event.
But Wolff has since explained that he does not expect qualifying to be any more exciting in Bahrain, with the big names running early in Q3 and no cars on track when the session should be reaching a climax.
He said: “This weekend we will see the new qualifying system continue after a less-than-impressive debut in Australia. The teams were unanimous in their opinion of it on Sunday in Melbourne and it wasn't a positive opinion.

“We haven't found the right format with this change and it's hard to see how it might be more entertaining for the fans this weekend in Bahrain.”
The F1 Commission is much more powerful than the collective voices of the team bosses and in the end their vote in Melbourne counted for little.
Bernie Ecclestone did not attend the Australian race but he will be going to Bahrain and could chair any post-qualifying meeting that occurs this weekend.

“Careful thought for intelligent steps forward”
Wolff also called on F1 stakeholders to respect the wishes of fans of the sport and take smarter steps to improve its image.
He said: “The sport is under scrutiny on this matter, so careful thought is required in order to make coordinated, intelligent steps forward from the position we are in right now.

“The fans want close racing, in a format they can understand, between the best drivers and cars in the world - in that order. We should be capable of delivering that to the people in the grandstands and watching around the world.”
Reader response to new qualifying
Shortly after qualifying took place at the Australian Grand Prix, we asked the JAonF1 audience to take part in a poll to discuss the future of F1 qualifying.
The poll asked readers if they thought F1 should go back to the 2015 format, keep the elimination in for Q1 and 2 and revert to old format for Q3, keep the new Q1 and 2 with longer elimination periods and have a short sprint Q3 or choose a new format altogether.

Over 5,000 people took part and the response overwhelmingly in favour of reverting to the 2015 format, which received 55 per cent of the vote.
Keeping the elimination aspect for Q1 and 2 before reverting to the old format for Q3 got 22 per cent of the votes. The idea of lengthening the elimination periods in Q1 and Q3 before a short sprint in Q3 gathered 16 per cent and choosing another format received just 7 per cent of the votes.
There were also over 700 comments left on the two posts about qualifying in Australia.

A number of readers expressed their anger at F1 changing a system that had worked well for years, including the following from RobertS:
“Would like it to go back to the 2015 version. It has worked fine for years. Too many issues with the new system, I felt I was clock watching like most others. 8 cars in the final segment along with the time out was just empty, needed more cars on track.
“Don't fix what isn't broken. I feel saddened that F1 even got itself into this position, particularly when everyone predicted this. To the casual sports fan it makes F1 look silly.”
With Ecclestone in town for the Bahrain race and the spotlight fixed once again on the elimination qualifying, we could well be in for a showdown in the desert between the teams and F1’s promoter.

Share Or Save This Story
Subscribe and access Motorsport.com with your ad-blocker.
From Formula 1 to MotoGP we report straight from the paddock because we love our sport, just like you. In order to keep delivering our expert journalism, our website uses advertising. Still, we want to give you the opportunity to enjoy an ad-free and tracker-free website and to continue using your adblocker.
Top Comments