Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Recommended for you

A push for Kyle Busch's immediate Hall of Fame and Most Popular Driver induction begins

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
A push for Kyle Busch's immediate Hall of Fame and Most Popular Driver induction begins

Ricky Stenhouse Jr. leads only Coca-Cola 600 practice

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
Ricky Stenhouse Jr. leads only Coca-Cola 600 practice

Max Verstappen fires back at Juan Pablo Montoya over F1 suspension claim

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Max Verstappen fires back at Juan Pablo Montoya over F1 suspension claim

How Toto Wolff and Mercedes want to avoid a repeat of 2016 with Kimi Antonelli and George Russell

Formula 1
Canadian GP
How Toto Wolff and Mercedes want to avoid a repeat of 2016 with Kimi Antonelli and George Russell

Kyle Busch smack-talked Joey Logano to the very end

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
Kyle Busch smack-talked Joey Logano to the very end

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Lando Norris leads Lewis Hamilton after first Q3 laps

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Lando Norris leads Lewis Hamilton after first Q3 laps

Oliver Bearman points out another shortcoming of F1’s new rules: More meetings

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Oliver Bearman points out another shortcoming of F1’s new rules: More meetings

DTM shock for Porsche team Land: Buus disqualified after P4!

DTM
Zandvoort
DTM shock for Porsche team Land: Buus disqualified after P4!
Breaking news

Formula 1 evaluating second version of Halo

Williams technical chief Pat Symonds has revealed that Formula 1 is now evaluating a different second version of the Halo cockpit protection system.

Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari SF16-H running the halo cockpit cover
Pat Symonds, Williams Chief Technical Officer
Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari SF16-H running the halo cockpit cover
Sebastian Vettel, Ferrari SF16-H running the Halo cockpit cover
Daniel Ricciardo, Red Bull Racing RB12 with the aeroscreen
Sebastian Vettel, Ferrari SF16-H running the Halo cockpit cover
The Halo cockpit cover used on the Ferrari SF16-H
Daniel Ricciardo, Red Bull Racing RB12 with the aeroscreen

Ahead of crunch meetings due to take place in Monaco that should map out F1's plans for the safety devices, it had been thought that the decision would be between the original Halo tested by Ferrari or the Aeroscreen that Red Bull is now developing.

But speaking at the Spanish Grand Prix on Saturday, Symonds said that an alternative had now appeared – with the issue due to be discussed between teams on the rest day in Monaco.

“There is going to be a TRM [Technical Regulations Meeting] in Monaco on Friday and Charlie [Whiting, F1 race director] assures us that we are going to know pretty well where we are by then,” said Symonds

“There is a second Halo device now that is a bit different to the one that Ferrari ran here in the [pre-season] test. So we will see what Monaco brings.”

It is unclear how the new Halo version differs from the original, but it could be that the device is removeable to allow easier access and exit for drivers.

2017 designs

The FIA has set a July 1 deadline to make a final decision on what, if any, system will be in place for 2017.

It is also likely that Red Bull will test the Aeroscreen in Monaco for further visibility checks to see how much it limits driver vision on a tight track with gradients.

Speaking about how teams were preparing their 2017 designs without knowing what will be around the cockpit, Symonds admitted the situation was quite difficult.

“I think we have got an idea of what the effects are – and they are quite dramatic,” he said. “There are some things particularly like on centreline cooling that you simply won't be able to do any more because of the effect.”

Previous article Renault confident Montreal upgrade will be big step
Next article FIA to ramp up tyre pressures investigations from Monaco GP

Top Comments

Latest news