Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Recommended for you

Super Formula announces extra Fuji race as Autopolis replacement

Super Formula
Super Formula announces extra Fuji race as Autopolis replacement

How Bruce McLaren’s early years set the team on the path to success

Feature
Formula 1
Feature
How Bruce McLaren’s early years set the team on the path to success

Isack Hadjar wants to follow Max Verstappen to Nurburgring — but says he can’t yet

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Isack Hadjar wants to follow Max Verstappen to Nurburgring — but says he can’t yet

Fernando Alonso: “I am the best, I don't need to prove anything”

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Fernando Alonso: “I am the best, I don't need to prove anything”

Motorsport world mourns the unexpected loss of NASCAR legend Kyle Busch

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
Motorsport world mourns the unexpected loss of NASCAR legend Kyle Busch

Oscar Piastri "flattered" by Red Bull F1 interest

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Oscar Piastri "flattered" by Red Bull F1 interest

NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

Fernando Alonso admits Aston Martin driveability gains worth only "half a tenth"

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Fernando Alonso admits Aston Martin driveability gains worth only "half a tenth"
Breaking news

Force India keen to try 'riskier' parts in final races

Force India will consider experimenting with riskier components in the final two races of the Formula 1 season after confirming fourth place in the constructors' championship.

Esteban Ocon, Sahara Force India F1 VJM10
Sergio Perez, Sahara Force India VJM10
Esteban Ocon, Sahara Force India VJM10
Sergio Perez, Sahara Force India F1 VJM10
Sergio Perez, Sahara Force India VJM10
Sergio Perez, Sahara Force India VJM10
Sergio Perez, Sahara Force India F1 VJM10

Esteban Ocon and Sergio Perez finished fifth and seventh respectively in the Mexican Grand Prix to move the team 99 points clear of fifth-placed Williams with only a maximum of 86 left up for grabs.

"It's a great achievement for the team," said chief operating officer Otmar Szafnauer. "But [what] we now got to do is utilise the fact that we've done it to our advantage.

"So we got to think differently in the next two races and do experiments or do things differently that will help for next year at the expense of this year, because this year doesn't matter.

"We are going to go back and plan for next two races and maybe [there are] some components we want to try that are a bit more risky.

"Just go ahead and try. If we lose some time on a Friday, big deal."

Force India has scored points with both cars in 15 out of 18 races so far this season, with the team bringing updates to the VJM10 throughout the year.

However, deputy team principal Bob Fernley says the team needs to improve the consistency of the updates and feels a stronger start to 2018 is key if it is to have any hope of securing fourth for a third consecutive year.

"At the start of the season, we had the drivers and reliability to make sure we would position ourselves well but knowing we wouldn't necessarily have the outright pace," he told Motorsport.com.

"Through the season, we didn't quite get the upgrades we would have liked to have but come the Asian leg, the upgrades we have put in have worked. That has given us the fourth-best chassis as well as being the fourth-best racing team.

"Now we have to work on that for next year, as it will become more difficult next year.

"We have to be clear that McLaren is looking very strong from a chassis point of view and there are improvements coming with the Renault as well. So we won't have it easy."

Previous article Vandoorne column: Lack of top speed too big a handicap in Mexico
Next article Analysis: There is going to be a giant fight in F1, so let's get it done sooner than later

Top Comments

Latest news