FIA set to carry out closed cockpit tests

shares
comments
FIA set to carry out closed cockpit tests
Jonathan Noble
By: Jonathan Noble
Aug 25, 2015, 11:19 AM

The FIA plans to hold new closed cockpit tests next month, Motorsport.com has learned, with the issue having returned to the agenda in the wake of Justin Wilson's fatal IndyCar crash.

Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes AMG F1 W06
Marshals remove the start crash involving Fernando Alonso, McLaren MP4-30 and Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari SF15-T
Justin Wilson, Andretti Autosport Honda
Marshals remove the start crash involving Fernando Alonso, McLaren MP4-30 and Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari SF15-T
Nico Hulkenberg, Sahara Force India F1 VJM08
Daniel Ricciardo, Red Bull Racing RB11
Felipe Massa, Williams FW37
Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes AMG F1 Team
Fernando Alonso, McLaren Honda

Wilson died as the result of serious head injuries he suffered when he was struck by flying debris at Sunday's IndyCar race at Pocono.

His accident has renewed the debate about introducing closed cockpits in top level single seaters, with work first having started seriously back in 2009 in the immediate aftermath of the crashes involving Felipe Massa and Henry Surtees.

Massa suffered head injuries after being struck by a spring at the Hungarian Grand Prix, just one week after rising star Henry Surtees was killed when he was hit by a loose wheel.

Cockpit canopies

The FIA has conducted several tests over the years to evaluate the pros and cons of introducing closed cockpits – and has found hurdles along the way.

Initial tests of a fighter-jet style canopy highlighted two design problems – either the polycarbonate cover would shatter, or it would simply launch the debris high in to the air and potentially pose a danger to spectators.

But of bigger concern to the FIA was potential difficulties in drivers getting out of the cockpit in the event of an accident – or delays in medical crews being able to attend to a driver because they had to waste time trying to remove a potentially damaged cover.

The downside of these scenarios was accepted to have been greater than the benefit offered by improved head protection.

For example, when Fernando Alonso's car ended up on top of Kimi Raikkonen's car at the Austrian Grand Prix this year, it would have taken minutes for the Finn to have been able to get out if a canopy had been in place.

In terms of F1, teams have also been resistant to any attempt introduce canopies because open cockpits have always been viewed as an intrinsic part of the sport.

New blade concept

Concerns about the downside of a jet-fighter style canopy have prompted a push to look at ways of having a structure around the front of the cockpit that would still allow easy driver extraction.

The latest idea is for cars to be fitted with a series of different height vertical blades around the front of the cockpit, which will deflect debris but also not hinder a drivers' escape from the cockpit.

Coincidentally, F1 technical chiefs discussed the matter with the FIA last week, before Wilson's crash, and have approved the latest round of testing to take place next month.

There will also be an evaluation of an idea put forward by Mercedes for a halo-style concept that would be fitted around the cockpit.

Next Formula 1 article
Mercedes had race day debris worries, says Lowe

Previous article

Mercedes had race day debris worries, says Lowe

Next article

FIA open to new F1 tyre safety guidelines for Monza

FIA open to new F1 tyre safety guidelines for Monza
Load comments

About this article

Series Formula 1
Author Jonathan Noble
Article type Breaking news