Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Recommended for you

“This is a serious matter”–why the FIA just fined Racing Bulls €30,000

Formula 1
Canadian GP
“This is a serious matter”–why the FIA just fined Racing Bulls €30,000

Max Verstappen’s feet were “flying off the pedals” as Red Bull explains Montreal struggles

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Max Verstappen’s feet were “flying off the pedals” as Red Bull explains Montreal struggles

NASCAR Truck race at Charlotte postponed by rain after emotional pre-race

NASCAR Truck
Charlotte
NASCAR Truck race at Charlotte postponed by rain after emotional pre-race

Jolyon Palmer explains Canadian GP energy management challenge

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Jolyon Palmer explains Canadian GP energy management challenge

NASCAR CEO: 'Family reunion' every weekend will never be the same without Kyle Busch

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
NASCAR CEO: 'Family reunion' every weekend will never be the same without Kyle Busch

Lewis Hamilton stuns F1 fans with Ducati superbike arrival at Canadian GP sprint qualifying

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Lewis Hamilton stuns F1 fans with Ducati superbike arrival at Canadian GP sprint qualifying

Here’s the starting grid for F1’s 2026 Canadian Grand Prix sprint race

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Here’s the starting grid for F1’s 2026 Canadian Grand Prix sprint race

F1 Canadian GP: George Russell defeats Kimi Antonelli to Canada F1 sprint pole

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 Canadian GP: George Russell defeats Kimi Antonelli to Canada F1 sprint pole
Breaking news

FIA confident that engine mode rule can be policed

FIA Formula 1 race director Michael Masi is confident that the planned clampdown on the use of multiple engine modes can be successfully policed by the governing body.

Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes F1 W11 EQ Performance

Teams were informed last week by letter that the FIA wants to have one mode in use for both qualifying and the race, with the details to be confirmed by a technical directive that will be issued before the Belgian GP at the end of this month.

In effect the new ruling is intended to stop teams employing special qualifying modes for a few laps on Saturday afternoon, but it will also restrict the opportunity to “turn down” engines in races for reliability purposes.

The letter made it clear that the change was in part to help officials monitor what teams are doing with their power units, noting the “multitude and complexity of modes being used make it extremely difficult for the FIA to monitor compliance with all the PU-related regulations and provisions in selected critical moments of the event.”

The letter also cited Article 27.1 of the sporting regulations, which references drivers being required to drive the car alone and unaided, and specified that “the changes to ICE modes that are currently in force could potentially mean that the driver does not drive the car alone and unaided.”

Read Also:

Masi believes the FIA can successfully operate the clampdown, despite the huge resources of the four engine manufacturers.

“I think we’re very confident of that, otherwise we wouldn’t have gone down the road that we have,” he said.

“I know that the technical team in particular has done a huge amount of work on this, and has also consulted with the four power unit manufacturers to get their input into this.

“I think as the late Charlie Whiting used to say, we have a technical team of 10, you add a thousand people at each of the various PU manufacturers, so…

“But no, we are confident, otherwise we certainly wouldn’t be going down that road pursuing it.”

Regarding the timing he said: “It’s intended that the technical directive regarding the engine modes will be issued prior to the Spa event.”

 

Previous article Hamilton wants better Pirelli tyres that appeal to F1 fans
Next article All 10 F1 teams sign new Concorde agreement

Top Comments

Latest news