All 10 F1 teams sign new Concorde agreement
Formula 1 has announced that all 10 teams have signed the new Concorde Agreement, committing to the sport from 2021 to 2025.
F1 has been engaged in long-running talks with teams in a bid to finalise the new commercial terms that will replace the existing Concorde Agreement at the start of next year.
An early-sign deadline was set of August 18 for teams to put pen to paper on the new terms, which focused on a more equitable distribution of prize money and a revised governance structure.
Despite some concerns being aired by the likes of Mercedes in recent weeks over where negotiations stood, most teams confirmed over the Spanish Grand Prix weekend they were close to being in a position to sign the new agreement.
This was followed by formal confirmation from Ferrari, McLaren and Williams on Tuesday they had signed up to the new Concorde Agreement, confirming their places on the grid for next year.
The FIA and F1 announced on Wednesday morning that all 10 teams have met the early-sign deadline, completing the Concorde Agreement arrangements for the 2021-25 period.
“The FIA and Formula 1 can today confirm that all ten teams have agreed to the new Concorde Agreement,” a joint statement reads.
“This follows extensive discussions over the past twelve months with all teams, Formula 1, and the FIA.
“The agreement will secure the long-term sustainable future for Formula 1 and combined with the new regulations, announced in October 2019 that come into force in 2022, will reduce the financial and on track disparities between the teams, helping to level the playing field, creating closer racing on the track that fans want to see more of.
“Closer racing will attract more fans to the sport, benefitting every team, and continuing to increase the global growth of Formula 1.”
F1 had been aiming to resolve the new Concorde Agreement talks at an earlier date, only for the COVID-19 pandemic to force discussions to be suspended.
F1 CEO and chairman Chase Carey said he was glad that the terms had been finalised in a swift fashion, and felt they pave the way for a more sustainable future for the sport.
“This year has been unprecedented for the world and we are proud that Formula 1 has come together in recent months to return to racing in a safe way,” Carey said.
“We said earlier in the year that due to the fluid nature of the pandemic, the Concorde Agreement would take additional time to agree and we are pleased that by August we have been able achieve agreement from all ten teams on the plans for the long term future of our sport.
“All our fans want to see closer racing, wheel to wheel action and every team having a chance to get on the podium. The new Concorde agreement, in conjunction with the regulations for 2022, will put in place the foundations to make this a reality and create an environment that is both financially fairer and closes the gaps between teams on the race track.”
FIA president Jean Todt added: “The conclusion of the new Concorde Agreement between the FIA, Formula 1 and all 10 of the current teams assures a stable future for the FIA Formula One World Championship.
“Over its seventy year history, Formula 1 has developed at a remarkable rate, pushing the boundaries of safety, technology and competition to the absolute limits, and today confirms that an exciting new chapter in that history is about to begin.
“During the unprecedented global challenges currently facing everyone around the world, I am proud of the way that all of Formula 1's stakeholders have worked together over the past months for the best interests of the sport and the fans to agree the pathway for more sustainable, fair and exciting competition at the pinnacle of motor sport.”
Zhou: Less pressure this year after "nervous" start in 2022
Zhou: Less pressure this year after "nervous" start in 2022 Zhou: Less pressure this year after "nervous" start in 2022
Verizon, Penske announce multi-year extension of partnership
Verizon, Penske announce multi-year extension of partnership Verizon, Penske announce multi-year extension of partnership
Conor Daly will attempt the 2023 Daytona 500
Conor Daly will attempt the 2023 Daytona 500 Conor Daly will attempt the 2023 Daytona 500
Fenestraz risked 'finishing on three wheels' with Diriyah FE pass on Mortara
Fenestraz risked 'finishing on three wheels' with Diriyah FE pass on Mortara Fenestraz risked 'finishing on three wheels' with Diriyah FE pass on Mortara
The pioneering F1 car that preceded Lotus’s terminal decline
Throwback: The 1987 Lotus 99T The pioneering F1 car that preceded Lotus’s terminal decline
How Tyrrell became a racing Rubik’s cube as it faded out of F1
The story of Ken Tyrrell's team How Tyrrell became a racing Rubik’s cube as it faded out of F1
Assessing Hamilton's remarkable decade as a Mercedes F1 driver
Assessing Hamilton's Mercedes stint Assessing Hamilton's remarkable decade as a Mercedes F1 driver
Why new-look Haas is a litmus test for Formula 1’s new era
Why new-look Haas is a litmus test Why new-look Haas is a litmus test for Formula 1’s new era
The Mercedes F1 pressure changes under 10 years of Toto Wolff
Assessing Wolff's Mercedes influence The Mercedes F1 pressure changes under 10 years of Toto Wolff
The all-French F1 partnership that Ocon and Gasly hope to emulate
The line-up Ocon, Gasly may emulate The all-French F1 partnership that Ocon and Gasly hope to emulate
Who were the fastest drivers in F1 2022?
Who were the fastest F1 drivers? Who were the fastest drivers in F1 2022?
Nico Hulkenberg: Why F1's nearly man is refreshed and ready for his return
Why Hulkenberg is ready for return Nico Hulkenberg: Why F1's nearly man is refreshed and ready for his return
Subscribe and access Motorsport.com with your ad-blocker.
From Formula 1 to MotoGP we report straight from the paddock because we love our sport, just like you. In order to keep delivering our expert journalism, our website uses advertising. Still, we want to give you the opportunity to enjoy an ad-free and tracker-free website and to continue using your adblocker.