Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Recommended for you

Cadillac details new F1 upgrade package for Canadian GP

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Cadillac details new F1 upgrade package for Canadian GP

Johann Zarco to wait several weeks before undergoing surgery

MotoGP
Catalan GP
Johann Zarco to wait several weeks before undergoing surgery

MotoGP chief Carlos Ezpeleta defends decision to restart Catalan GP twice

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
MotoGP chief Carlos Ezpeleta defends decision to restart Catalan GP twice

The F1 power unit formula solution that could suit all parties

Feature
Formula 1
Feature
The F1 power unit formula solution that could suit all parties

Honda reveals “important target” for F1 Canadian GP

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Honda reveals “important target” for F1 Canadian GP

Francesco Bagnaia fears wrist injury after Johann Zarco crash: “Something’s not quite right”

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
Francesco Bagnaia fears wrist injury after Johann Zarco crash: “Something’s not quite right”

Johann Zarco recounts Barcelona MotoGP crash: "It was absolutely terrifying"

MotoGP
Catalan GP
Johann Zarco recounts Barcelona MotoGP crash: "It was absolutely terrifying"

On this day: Olivier Panis takes only F1 win in chaotic Monaco GP

Formula 1
Monaco GP
On this day: Olivier Panis takes only F1 win in chaotic Monaco GP
Breaking news

Ferrari identifies cause of Vettel's engine failure

The Ferrari Formula 1 team has traced the engine failure it suffered in Barcelona testing last week to a lubrication system issue – and it says the problem is "not a cause for concern."

Sebastian Vettel, Ferrari SF1000 stops on track

Sebastian Vettel stopped on track on Friday morning, and the Italian team lost valuable track time while the power unit was replaced.

The damaged unit was then returned to base for checking, and Ferrari gave an update on its findings on Monday.

The team noted: "The unit which had the problem last Friday has been stripped and checked in Maranello. The fault was traced to a non-structural problem with the lubrication system. It's not a cause for concern and work to correct it is already underway."

Read Also:

The problem, combined with a general lack of pace relative to rivals, led observers to suggest that the team still has a lot of work to do before Australia.

Ferrari has also made it clear that it expects to show more pace this week, noting: "Over the upcoming three days, the final session before the season starts in Australia on March 15, the team will start working on performance, while carrying out qualifying and race simulations."

Team boss Mattia Binotto said last week that the SF1000 will "not differ much" in Australia.

However, the team is believed to be running revised front and rear wings and engine cover this week.

Vettel will start the second test on Wednesday morning, with teammate Charles Leclerc taking over in the afternoon.

Vettel will have the SF100 to himself on Thursday, while Leclerc will run on the final day on Friday.

Vettel insisted last week that Ferrari had not planned to stretch the legs of the latest power unit at the first test.

"You can play around a lot with engine modes etcetera," said the German. "I think right now the target is not to prove the maximum power of the engine, the target is to do as many laps as possible. Obviously, we've done a lot in terms of mileage on the benches to make sure the car is reliable.

"I think then ramping up the engine and so on, it's probably not something you want to do in testing and certainly not to show everyone. So it's not on the agenda as far as I know."

 
Previous article Gallery: All of Alain Prost's F1 race wins
Next article Bottas wants Mercedes '21 talks expedited, more "internal"

Top Comments

Latest news