Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Recommended for you

NASCAR community says there was a difference between 'Rowdy' and Kyle Busch

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
NASCAR community says there was a difference between 'Rowdy' and Kyle Busch

Coyne to pay special tribute to Kyle Busch with Grosjean's No. 18 Indy 500 entry

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Coyne to pay special tribute to Kyle Busch with Grosjean's No. 18 Indy 500 entry

Max Verstappen: Red Bull didn’t follow my set-up feedback in Canada

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Max Verstappen: Red Bull didn’t follow my set-up feedback in Canada

What we learned from the 2026 F1 Canadian GP sprint race and qualifying

Feature
Formula 1
Feature
Canadian GP
What we learned from the 2026 F1 Canadian GP sprint race and qualifying

Here’s the starting grid for F1’s 2026 Canadian Grand Prix

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Here’s the starting grid for F1’s 2026 Canadian Grand Prix

Ralf Schumacher backs Toto Wolff's handling of Kimi Antonelli and George Russell clash

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Ralf Schumacher backs Toto Wolff's handling of Kimi Antonelli and George Russell clash

Lewis Hamilton reveals touching reason behind his mother's Canadian GP appearance

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Lewis Hamilton reveals touching reason behind his mother's Canadian GP appearance

Max Verstappen: "Not doable" to stay in F1 if rules aren't improved for 2027

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Max Verstappen: "Not doable" to stay in F1 if rules aren't improved for 2027
Breaking news

F1 begins to respond to tyre-exploding crisis

Bernie Ecclestone and FIA president Jean Todt - met at Silverstone and arranged for Pirelli to be able to conduct two three-day tests.

Sergio Perez, McLaren MP4-28 with a tyre blow out failure

Jul.1 (GMM) The world of Formula One has already begun to respond to the crisis triggered by Sunday's tyre-exploding British Grand Prix.

Earlier this year, because Pirelli insisted the problem was merely aesthetic rather than a matter of safety, a few teams blocked moves to introduce a new tyre to stop delaminations.

Red Bull designer Adrian Newey, hitting out at those resisting teams including Lotus, Ferrari and Force India, blamed the Silverstone chaos on their "short-sightedness".

"It's a sad state of affairs but such is the nature of Formula One, really," he is quoted by the Telegraph.

However, Lotus team boss Eric Boullier has reacted immediately to Silverstone by insisting that because it is now a safety issue, the team will no longer block any changes.

And Telegraph correspondent Tom Cary said on Monday that Ferrari and Force India have also now acknowledged "that safety came before their own competitive interests".

Nonetheless, Force India owner Vijay Mallya has been quoted as questioning the seriousness of the tyre explosions, while Lotus' Alan Permane told Auto Motor und Sport that Kimi Raikkonen and Romain Grosjean had no problems at all on Sunday.

Force India sporting director Otmar Szafnauer added: "We had no problems.

"Maybe it's because we adhere strictly to Pirelli's guidelines regarding tyre pressures and camber."

The most immediate issue for F1, however, is how to react to the Silverstone crisis just days ahead of the next race at the Nurburgring.

A step in the right direction is the immediate decision to relax F1's strict testing ban for Pirelli.

Sir Jackie Stewart is quoted by the Daily Mail: "They've got to open up the regulations and do as many tests as they need to drive in order to feel comfortable their (Pirelli's) tyres are durable."

Indeed, Germany's DPA news agency said the most powerful men in F1 - Bernie Ecclestone and FIA president Jean Todt - met at Silverstone and arranged for Pirelli to be able to conduct two three-day tests.

F1 chief executive Ecclestone said Pirelli can even use 2013 cars, even though the Italian marque's recent test with Mercedes was scolded by the FIA.

"They can use what they like," said Ecclestone. "No restrictions. None at all, so they can do what they want."

Previous article British Grand Prix – Who was your Driver of the Day?
Next article Horner: Alonso lucky to be alive

Top Comments

Latest news