Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Recommended for you

How Bruce McLaren’s early years set the team on the path to success

Feature
Formula 1
Feature
How Bruce McLaren’s early years set the team on the path to success

Isack Hadjar wants to follow Max Verstappen to Nurburgring — but says he can’t yet

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Isack Hadjar wants to follow Max Verstappen to Nurburgring — but says he can’t yet

Fernando Alonso: “I am the best, I don't need to prove anything”

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Fernando Alonso: “I am the best, I don't need to prove anything”

Motorsport world mourns the unexpected loss of NASCAR legend Kyle Busch

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
Motorsport world mourns the unexpected loss of NASCAR legend Kyle Busch

Oscar Piastri "flattered" by Red Bull F1 interest

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Oscar Piastri "flattered" by Red Bull F1 interest

NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

Fernando Alonso admits Aston Martin driveability gains worth only "half a tenth"

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Fernando Alonso admits Aston Martin driveability gains worth only "half a tenth"

George Russell faces "punch in the gut" warning amid Kimi Antonelli pressure

Formula 1
Canadian GP
George Russell faces "punch in the gut" warning amid Kimi Antonelli pressure

F1 teams unite against refuelling return plan

The return of refuelling to Formula 1 appears to have been all but killed off, after team representatives expressed unanimous opposition to it in a meeting in Canada on Thursday.

The pitcrew of Red Bull Racing with the fuel nozzle
Petronas fuel rig in the Mercedes AMG F1 pit garage
Scuderia Ferrari, fuel rigs
Fuel Rig
Williams F1 Team, Fuel rig
Scuderia Ferrari, Fuel Rig
McLaren Mercedes team members prepare a fuel rig

The regular F1 team managers' meeting in Montreal today morphed into a meeting of the Sporting Working Committee, whose role is to refine regulations.

As Motorsport.com reported earlier, refuelling was one of two main items on the agenda, along with 2016 tyre rules.

Motorsport.com has learned that there was no support shown for its return, which had been first suggested by the F1 Strategy Group.

The main opposition to it was on the basis that it would be detrimental to the show, rather than cost or safety.

Data analysed by various team strategists and presented at the meeting provided solid proof that refuelling would not improve the racing.

Damning evidence produced

A key piece of damning evidence was that in 2010, the year after refuelling was last banned, there were twice as many overtaking moves on track as in the previous year.

It was also agreed that if refuelling came back it would again have to be on the basis of drivers qualifying on race fuel, a concept that the teams felt was not successful as it did not present a true picture of who had the fastest car.

Although cost was not the main driver of today's decision, it was estimated that a return to refuelling would cost £1million in the first year, and then £500,000 a year thereafter.

Some teams also expressed doubts over safety, as the desire to have fast pitstops that depend on the tyre-changing time would require much faster flow rates than previously 33 litres per second as opposed to 12.

It is understood that the FIA's Charlie Whiting will now report the findings of the meeting back to the F1 Strategy Group, who came up with the idea in the May 14th gathering.

The fact that there is unanimous opposition to the rule means that it is highly likely it will be dropped – even though Bernie Ecclestone is believed to be in favour of its return as part of a big plan to spice up F1’s show.

Previous article Rosberg admits third Monaco win less emotional
Next article More work needed for new 2016 tyre rules

Top Comments

Latest news