Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Recommended for you

Lundgaard facing back-of-the-grid charge in Portland after multiple issues derail qualifying

IndyCar
Portland
Lundgaard facing back-of-the-grid charge in Portland after multiple issues derail qualifying

Felix Rosenqvist snatches Portland IndyCar pole from Alex Palou by 0.018s

IndyCar
Portland
Felix Rosenqvist snatches Portland IndyCar pole from Alex Palou by 0.018s

Carson Kvapil wins NASCAR O'Reilly Iowa race after chaotic overtime restart

NASCAR O'Reilly
Iowa
Carson Kvapil wins NASCAR O'Reilly Iowa race after chaotic overtime restart

Two car chiefs ejected after Iowa NASCAR Cup inspection failures

NASCAR Cup
Iowa
Two car chiefs ejected after Iowa NASCAR Cup inspection failures

Opportunity knocks for Blaney in race to the NASCAR Chase

NASCAR Cup
Iowa
Opportunity knocks for Blaney in race to the NASCAR Chase

Joe Custer: Haas “dead committed” to making NASCAR Cup team work

NASCAR Cup
Iowa
Joe Custer: Haas “dead committed” to making NASCAR Cup team work

NASCAR Cup Iowa starting lineup: Ryan Blaney earns pole over Kyle Larson

NASCAR Cup
Iowa
NASCAR Cup Iowa starting lineup: Ryan Blaney earns pole over Kyle Larson

Chase Elliott sustains damage in NASCAR Cup Iowa practice crash

NASCAR Cup
Iowa
Chase Elliott sustains damage in NASCAR Cup Iowa practice crash
Breaking news

Giovinazzi doubts 2017 F1 races will help him in '19

Antonio Giovinazzi doubts his 2017 Formula 1 race experience will help him in '19 because he expects his full-season debut to be "a lot" easier to approach.

Antonio Giovinazzi, Sauber C37

Giovinazzi will race for Sauber next season, two years after making his F1 debut as a stand-in for the injured Pascal Wehrlein.

The Italian driver took over Wehrlein's car on the morning of qualifying for the 2017 Australian Grand Prix and contested the next race in China as well.

Giovinazzi has spent the time since then in a test and reserve driver role for Sauber and Ferrari.

Asked if he thought the experience from 2018 would be a help, Giovinazzi said: "Unfortunately it's already a long time ago. It's the beginning of last year!

"It was not a full weekend [in Australia], it was only on Saturday. In China I missed FP1 and FP2 because of the weather so I started again from FP3.

"It was difficult to approach, but fortunately next year will be a lot more easy. I will have the winter tests in Barcelona and I will be a lot more ready when I arrive in Melbourne."

Giovinazzi has contested one race since crashing out of the 2017 Chinese GP, this year's Le Mans 24 Hours with the AF Corse Ferrari GTE team.

The 2016 GP2 Series runner-up said he has missed the pressure of racing full time.

"I can't wait to be honest," he said. "I miss the pressure of the race weekend and also the race on Sunday.

"For now, I'm relaxed in FP1, doing my job. I can't wait until next year for the real pressure.

"It will be quite tough for the first races. I have a world champion [Kimi Raikkonen] beside me, who has a lot of years in F1.

"I need to do my job, try to improve race-by-race, and we'll see at the end of the year if we did a good job or not."

Previous article Grosjean: I wouldn't forgive myself for another slump
Next article Hamilton beats Verstappen in team bosses' F1 top 10

Top Comments

Latest news