Silverstone set up problems for WSS Van Zon Honda TKR The Van Zon Honda TKR team struggled with the tough track conditions at Silverstone, with a combination of bumps, slow and fast turns and heat conspired to make qualifying a nightmare for the...
Silverstone set up problems for WSS Van Zon Honda TKR
The Van Zon Honda TKR team struggled with the tough track conditions at Silverstone, with a combination of bumps, slow and fast turns and heat conspired to make qualifying a nightmare for the team.
It was only when the team tried a completely different tyre in the morning warm up.
"We'd struggled for grip all weekend," explained Werner Daemen who finished a difficult race in 15th. "Then we found a tyre, one that won't normally work here, that seemed to give us the grip we needed. Unfortunately we now had no time to tune the chassis to suit the new tyre so our race set up wasn't right at all.
"The best I could do in the race was just try to hang onto the bike and finish the race."
Iain MacPherson had the same problems, he'd found the grip but it had spoiled the feel of the bike and he was trying to ride around the problems when he crashed while in eight position.
"I was losing a lot of time in the new chicane," explained the plucky Scot, "So I pushed harder around the back part of the circuit trying to make up the time. Obviously I pushed too hard!"
The team now have to pack up and drive straight to Italy for next weekend's San Marino round at the Misano circuit.
World Supersport Championship
Round six, Silverstone, 13-14-15 June 2003
1. C Vermeulen, AUS, Ten Kate Honda, 37'21.429
2. J VD Goorbergh, NEL, Yamaha, +12.157
3. K Muggeridge, AUS, Ten Kate Honda, +14.223
4. T VD Bosch, FRA, Yamaha, +15.462
5. A Corradi, ITA, Yamaha, +16.554
6. C Cogan, FRA, Honda, +22.202
7. P Riba, ESP, Kawasaki, +22.379
8. K Fujiwara, JPN, Suzuki, +24.063
9. M Lagrive, FRA, Yamaha, +27.053
10. R Ulm, AUT, Honda, +27.314
15. W Daemen, BEL, Van Zon Honda TKR, +45.360
DNF: I MacPherson, GBR, Van Zon Honda TKR, 16 laps.