Dreadful luck ruins weekend for Team Van Zon Honda TKR. A promising start to the World Supersport championship turned bad for both Team Van Zon Honda TKR riders. Werner Daemen crashed out of the race after making contact with Christian Kellner...
Dreadful luck ruins weekend for Team Van Zon Honda TKR.
A promising start to the World Supersport championship turned bad for both Team Van Zon Honda TKR riders.
Werner Daemen crashed out of the race after making contact with Christian Kellner while a freak technical problem ended MacPherson's race early.
"We've suffered from bad luck again," admitted Daemen. "Kellner hit me twice and has left a big tyre mark my leathers! When he hit my rear tyre I couldn't keep the bike up and went into the gravel. It's a shame because my start was good and I was making progress in the field, the Pirelli tyres were great and the Honda CBR600RR was performing faultlessly. I can only hope our luck returns for Silverstone.
Iain MacPherson also suffered from appalling luck. He was fighting at the front of the pack early in the race but then hit problems.
"I thought my bike was losing power because I was having trouble getting on full throttle," said the fiery Scot. "But then I realised that the throttle grip was actually slipping on the bar. I had no choice but to pull in, it was just too dangerous to carry on."
World Supersport Championship
Round Five, Oschersleben, Germany
30-31 May - 1 June 2003
1. C. Vermeulen, AUS, Ten Kate Honda 42'51.384
2. S. Chambon, FRA, Suzuki, +1.775s
3. K. Fujiwara, JAP, Suzuki, +2.085s
4. J. VD Goorbergh, NED, Yamaha, +3.936s
5. B. Parkes, AUS, Honda, +8.438s
6. P. Riba, ESP, Kawasaki, +8.989s
7. J. Teuchert, GER, Yamaha, +14.973s
8. C. Kellner, GER, Yamaha, +20.274s
9. S. Charpentier, FRA, Honda, +24.001s
10. G. Nannelli, ITA, Honda, Yamaha, +29.143s
15. K Muggeridge, AUS, Ten Kate Honda, +47.448
Ret: I MacPherson, GBR, Van Zon Honda TKR
Ret: W Daemen, BEL, Van Zon Honda TKR