Ostberg could keep private Ford as "back-up" in 2018

shares
comments
Ostberg could keep private Ford as "back-up" in 2018
By:
Jan 16, 2018, 4:49 PM

Mads Ostberg could keep his private Ford Fiesta World Rally Car as a "back-up plan" if he cannot extend his Citroen deal beyond his Rally Sweden appearance.

Mads Ostberg, Emil Axelsson, M-Sport Ford Fiesta WRC
Mads Ostberg, Emil Axelsson, M-Sport Ford Fiesta WRC
Mads Ostberg, Emil Axelsson, M-Sport Ford Fiesta WRC
Mads Ostberg, M-Sport
Mads Ostberg, Torstein Eriksen, M-Sport Ford Fiesta WRC
Mads Ostberg, Torstein Eriksen, M-Sport Ford Fiesta WRC
Mads Ostberg, Torstein Eriksen, M-Sport Ford Fiesta WRC

Citroen revealed during the 2018 WRC launch at Autosport International last week that it is recalling 2014/15 works driver Ostberg to drive an additional C3 in Sweden next month, in a deal agreed just hours earlier.

He spent last season as a Ford privateer and though he has put his Fiesta up for sale, he is still using it on this weekend's Saturday's Sigdalsrally in Norway.

"I need all the driving I can get, so even though I have this agreement with Citroen, I will use the Fiesta this week," Ostberg told Motorsport.com.

"My Adapta team Fiesta has been at M-Sport having the upgrades fitted to turn it into a 2018 car. It was for sale and it still is.

"At the moment my agreement with Citroen is for one event only but I hope, I really, really hope, to make that last longer. The Fiesta could be a back-up plan."

Adapta will still enter Ostberg's Ford in Sweden while he is with Citroen. Two drivers are in contention for that drive, with WRC veteran Henning Solberg one of them.

Asked about the identity of the other, Ostberg replied: "I'm not going to tell you, but you would be surprised."

Ostberg will attend the WRC opener in Monte Carlo with Citroen then work with it at its factory before Sweden, where he has taken five podium finishes in the past.

"I'll go to Monte to meet the guys and get familiar with the team again," he said. "Then I go to France to sit in the car, get the seat and the belts right and to learn where the buttons are.

"This is the first step to get back to being a factory driver, that is one of my highest ambitions and I'm working really hard to do that.

"I know what Citroen stands for and this is a great opportunity to join them again – it's only one rally for the moment, but I will do everything I can to stay inside that door."

Next article
Citroen WRC boss Matton quits to join FIA

Previous article

Citroen WRC boss Matton quits to join FIA

Next article

Suninen eyes expanded M-Sport programme

Suninen eyes expanded M-Sport programme
Load comments

About this article

Series WRC
Drivers Mads Ostberg
Author David Evans
Be first to get
breaking news