Previewing the World of Outlaws at Clay County Fair Speedway Spencer, IA-September 15, 2010 -The Clay County Fair in Spencer, Iowa has a little bit of everything for those that pass through the gates of what is dubbed "The World's Greatest...
Previewing the World of Outlaws at Clay County Fair Speedway
Spencer, IA-September 15, 2010 -The Clay County Fair in Spencer, Iowa has a little bit of everything for those that pass through the gates of what is dubbed "The World's Greatest County Fair." Many of the biggest acts in music having graced the stage over the last 75 years and most recently, the greatest sprint car drivers in the world have taken to the track at the historic fairgrounds, as the World of Outlaws have competed at the 3/8-mile Clay County Fair Speedway for each of the last three years. That tradition will continue this week as the series takes to the track on Friday, September 17 for a full night of racing in an event promoted again in 2010 by Craig and Julie Dollansky.
Last season Jason Meyers and Joey Saldana staged a thrilling battle at Clay County Fair Speedway trading the lead four times including on the last lap with Meyers edging Saldana at the line to break Donny Schatz's undefeated streak with the World of Outlaws at Clay County Fair Speedway.
Saldana leads the series into Clay County Fair Speedway this season as the current World of Outlaws point leader on the strength of 12 A-Feature wins in what is again shaping up to be another of the tightest point races in series history, as he has just a two point advantage over Meyers, with 20-time series champion Steve Kinser third, only 55 markers out of the top spot, and Schatz fourth 119 markers back, with 10 races remaining on the 2010 calendar.
Schatz was victorious in the series debut at Clay County in 2007, after the track had been reconfigured from its previous half-mile layout to a very racy 3/8-mile. He followed that up with another win there in 2008 and came home sixth last season.
A full night of racing in on tap at Clay County Fair Speedway on Friday, September 17 beginning with hot laps and time trials, followed by heat races, the dash, the Last Chance Showdown and the 30-lap main event with $10,000 awaiting the winner.
* Jason Meyers was victorious last season at Clay County Fair Speedway for the first time in three starts after finishing fourth at the track in 2008. He heads to the 3/8-mile carrying the momentum from the biggest win of his career last weekend in the Gold Cup Race of Champions.
* Joey Saldana has finished second twice and third once at Clay County Fair Speedway as he looks for his first win at the track. He leads all drivers with an average finish of 2.3 at the 3/8-mile.
* Donny Schatz had his undefeated streak with the World of Outlaws at Clay County broken last season finishing sixth after scoring wins in each of the series first two visits to the track in 2007 and 2008.
* Steve Kinser looks for his best career finish at Clay County Speedway this week. The 20-time series champion has finished 11th 15 th and 20th at the track, which is one of just a handful on the circuit that he has not won at.
* Jason Sides finished a career-best fourth last season at Clay County as he looks for his first victory at the track. He has won four times this season and is currently fifth in points.
* Paul McMahan, who is currently sixth in the World of Outlaws championship standings, will be making his first start at Clay County Fair Speedway since 2008, when he finished eighth.
* Craig Dollansky, who is promoting the event at Clay County Fair Speedway along with his wife Julie, who was born and raised in Spencer, Iowa, finished third in the series debut at the track in 2007 and was 10th last season.
* Kraig Kinser led 26 laps at Clay County Fair Speedway in his debut at the track in 2008 en route to a runner-up finish.
* Jac Haudenschild finished third at Clay County last season after coming home ninth in 2008. The Hall of Famer has won three times this season and is just outside of the Top-10 in points.
* Chad Kemenah finished seventh at Clay County Fair Speedway last season and has finished 15th or better in all three World of Outlaws races at the track.
* Ben Gregg and Toni Lutar, who are battling for the Kevin Gobrecht Rookie of the Year Award this season, will both be making their debut at Clay County Fair Speedway
One year ago: Jason Meyers and Joey Saldana staged an epic battle at the always racy 3/8-mile, trading the lead four times including on the last lap. Meyers led early in the race before Saldana took a commanding lead in the middle portion of the 30-lapper. Meyers retook the top spot on the 26th lap on the back straightaway. With just two laps to go, Saldana charged off the top of turn four to take back the point. Meyers used a strong run exiting the second turn on the white flag lap to get around Saldana on the high side of the track, with the pair nearly making contact and both having to get on the brakes. Meyers charged down the back strightaway and held off Saldana by 0.382 seconds for the win. Kerry Madsen began the night by setting a new track record in time trials, while heat races were won by Donny Schatz, Meyers, Tony Bruce Jr. and Tim Kaeding. Bruce won the dash to earn the pole for the 30-lap main event.
By the Numbers: Clay County Fair Speedway
0.375 - Miles around Clay County Fair Speedway
0.382- Margin of victory for Jason Meyers over Joey Saldana last season at the track
2- Points that separate leader Joey Saldana and Jason Meyers entering this weekend
3- Races for the World of Outlaws in the state of Iowa this season
4- Lead changes in the main event last season at Clay County Fair Speedway
5- Drivers that have led laps in the three feature events the World of Outlaws have held at the track
9- Track records that have been set in time trials this season
10- Laps led by Jason Meyers en route to winning at Clay County last season
12- Drivers currently competing full-time with the World of Outlaws that raced at Clay County Fair Speedway last season; A-Feature wins for Joey Saldana to lead the series
13- Drivers competing full-time with the World of Outlaws this season that have raced at Clay County Fair Speedway
13.345- Track record established at the track in time trials by Kerry Madsen last year
15- Drivers competing full-time with the World of Outlaws this season
17- Drivers that have been fastest in time trials with the World of Outlaws this season
18- Drivers that have won A-Feature events this season with the World of Outlaws
20- Laps led by Joey Saldana on his way to a runner-up finish at the track last year
26- Drivers that have led laps in A-Feature events this season
30- Laps of feature racing competition on tap on Friday, September 17
33- Drivers that competed with the series at the track last season
35- Top-Five finishes for Joey Saldana and Steve Kinser to lead the series through September 11
51- Top-10 finishes for Steve Kinser through September 11 to lead the series
101.161- Track record in miles per hour set by Kerry Madsen last season
333- Laps led in A-Feature events this season by Joey Saldana to lead the series
1767- Miles from Silver Dollar Speedway in California where the World of Outlaws compete September 9-11 to Clay County Fair Speedway in Iowa
2007- Year the World of Outlaws first competed at Clay County Fair Speedway
10,000 - Dollars the winner will receive on Friday, September 17
51,690- Dollars in the total purse on Friday, September 17
278,700- Dollars earned by Steve Kinser through September 11 to lead the series
Tickets: On Friday, September 17 at Clay County Fair Speedway, adult general admission tickets will be $30, with general admission tickets for kids 12-under $15. Reserved tickets will be $35, with pit/combos also available for $55 which include a pit pass and a reserved ticket. For tickets call 763- 389-9717.