World of Outlaws Sprint Series At A Glance: The Las Vegas World of Outlaws Nationals Norman, OK -- March 6, 2006 WHAT * Coming off of back-to-back nights in front of packed speedways in Arizona, the World of Outlaws Sprint Series invades at The...
World of Outlaws Sprint Series At A Glance: The Las Vegas World of Outlaws Nationals
Norman, OK -- March 6, 2006
* Coming off of back-to-back nights in front of packed speedways in Arizona, the World of Outlaws Sprint Series invades at The Dirt Track at Las Vegas Motor Speedway for the Las Vegas World of Outlaws Nationals, two single-day $51,600 events paying $10,000-to-win on Thursday and Friday in conjunction with the NASCAR Nextel Cup Series weekend. In addition, two non-sanctioned dirt late model events also will run on the big half-mile north of the world famous Las Vegas Strip.
* Both events at The Dirt Track at Las Vegas Motor Speedway begin with gates opening at 6 p.m., qualifying at 6:30 p.m. and racing to follow. On Friday, March 10, the World of Outlaws Mean 15 racers will take part in an autograph session at 2:30 p.m. in the midway of the Las Vegas Motor Speedway's 1.5-mile oval in conjunction with NASCAR qualifying events.
* To get to Las Vegas Motor Speedway, follow I-15 North to Exit 54 (Speedway Blvd.). The speedway is about 12 miles north of downtown Las Vegas.
* For tickets to the Las Vegas World of Outlaws Nationals, and more information, please call 800-644-4444 or visit www.lvms.com.
* The Outdoor Channel will air at 8 p.m. (ET) on March 1 all the action from the World of Outlaws Sprint Series season-opening events during the 35th Annual Winternationals at Volusia Speedway Park. The Cactus Classic at Manzanita Speedway will air on March 8 followed March 15 by the event from USA Race Park in Tucson. This Thursday's action from the Las Vegas World of Outlaws Nationals will air on March 22 while the second event will air on March 29. The Outdoor Channel is available nationwide through the DISH Network (Channel 153) and DIRECTV (Channel 606).
* New DIRT MotorSports President Tom Deery will join hosts Dave Seay and Doc Lehman Monday, March 6, on the Dirt Nation^Ù presented by Lucas Oil radio show, which airs from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. Eastern on WLRT 1490 THE OUTLAW in Hampton, Va., and can be accessed through the Internet at www.racetalklive.com.
* New DIRT MotorSports Executive Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer Rob Butcher and Mean 15 rookie Justin Henderson will join the Full Throttle Racing Show and host John Katich for separate segments on Tuesday, March 7. The Full Throttle Racing Show can be heard from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. Eastern this week by going to www.usadirtracing.com.
ABOUT THE TRACK
* The Dirt Track at Las Vegas Motor Speedway is one of the premier half-mile tracks on the World of Outlaws Sprint Series schedule. Danny Lasoski established the single-lap record of 13.719 seconds at 131.205 mph on March 6, 2004.
NEWS & NOTES
* On the Web: The Official World of Outlaws Sprint Series Web site at www.dirtmotorsports.com/sprint includes driver biographies with individual statistics and pictures, race-by-race statistics, detailed track information and race coverage, series news and team press releases. There also are links to the 2006 DIRT MotorSports Media Guide, the Official Rulebook and the 2006 DIRT MotorSports Membership form.
* Autograph party: Drivers from the World of Outlaws Sprint Car Series will gather together for an autograph session to be held on the midway of Las Vegas Motor Speedway on Friday, March 10 at 2:30 p.m. Fans will have the opportunity to meet their favorite World of Outlaws drivers during LVMS' NASCAR Weekend, which includes the UAW-DaimlerChrysler 400 and Sam's Town 300. Tickets for the World of Outlaws Sprint Cars and dirt Late Model doubleheader may be purchased by calling (800) 644-4444 or online at www.lvms.com.
* Variety show: Not only has there been four different winners through the first four World of Outlaws events this season, but there has not been a repeat winner yet in eight dashes, four B-mains or in four time trial sessions.
* Swindell In Vegas: Three-time World of Outlaws champion Sammy Swindell is slated to compete with the Outlaws several times this season in the Guy Forbrook Motorsports Volcano Joe's Coffee/Wirtgen/Jackpot Junction Mopar Maxim, including March 9 and March 10 in the Las Vegas World of Outlaws Nationals at The Dirt Track at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.
* Sky high: World of Outlaws Mean 15 star Donny Schatz went for the ride of his life on March 1 when he climbed into a U.S. Navy Blue Angels F/A-18b Hornet for an hour-long flight with pilot Lt. Kevin Davis, a Top Gun instructor. Fans can see clips of the flight, complete with Donny's reactions as they happened, on Wednesday, March 8, at 8 p.m. Eastern on The Outdoor Channel's coverage of the March 3 Cactus Classic at Manzanita Speedway in Phoenix.
* Bonus points: Through four events, Joey Saldana leads the championship standings by 10 points over Daryn Pittman. Donny Schatz is only 12 points behind with Terry McCarl only 14 points back.
* Four-for-four: After finishing fifth on Saturday at United Sports Arizona Race Park, Daryn Pittman is the only racer this season to post top-10 finishes in each of the first four World of Outlaws Sprint Series events.
* Primetime racers: The Outdoor Channel broadcasts World of Outlaws action at 8 p.m. (ET) on Wednesdays, with rebroadcasts at 1 a.m. (ET) Fridays and 1 p.m. (ET) Saturdays. The Outdoor Channel is available nationwide through the DISH Network (Channel 153) and DIRECTV (Channel 606). For more information on The Outdoor Channel, go to www.theoutdoorchannel.com.
* Half-mile winners: The Dirt Track at Las Vegas Motor Speedway is a big semi-banked half-mile oval. The World of Outlaws Sprint Series has raced three times this season on half-mile ovals. Winners include Chad Kemenah (Volusia), Joey Saldana (Volusia) and Danny Lasoski (Manzanita).
* 3/8-mile winners: After competing in Las Vegas, the World of Outlaws will be racing March 31 at 3/8-mile Batesville Speedway in Batesville, Ark. The series raced 16 times on tracks that size in 2005, with Mean 15 racers Donny Schatz and Daryn Pittman each posting three victories. The World of Outlaws raced March 4 at 3/8-mile United Sports Arizona Race Park in Tucson, with Paul McMahan holding off Schatz as Terry McCarl, Schatz and Pittman were three of the fastest cars throughout the night.
* The Mean 15: The impressive 2006 edition of the World of Outlaws Sprint Series' Mean 15 racers includes Becca Anderson (No. 19 Woodring Racing JEI), Jeremy Campbell (No. 10c G-Force Racing Gear/America's Best Values Inns Maxim), Brian Carlson (No. 18 Lincoln Electric Maxim), Craig Dollansky (No. 7 Karavan Trailers J&J), Randy Hannagan (No. 1x Terry Hannagan Racing Maxim), Jac Haudenschild (No. 35 Wright One Construction Maxim), Justin Henderson (No. D1 Dan Dan The Sonic Man/Race Girl Schnee powered by Hollywood Racing Engines), Dion Hindi (No. 11D Butler Built Performance Seats J&J), Chad Kemenah (No. 15K UUI Underground Utilities Eagle), Jason Martin (No. 36 NOS Energy Drink/Mafia Motorsports Maxim), Terry McCarl (No. 24 Big Game Treestands/Clean-O.com/Bosma Poultry/AmeriCash Advance.com Eagle), Daryn Pittman (No. 21 Titan Garages & Carports Maxim), Joey Saldana (No. 9 Central Merchant Services/Curb Records/Dodge Mopar-powered JEI), Donny Schatz (No. 15 ParkerStore J&J), Brooke Tatnell (No. 8 Castrol/Steel Dreams/Garlic Jim's Pizza Eagle).
* Following the Las Vegas World of Outlaws Nationals, the Mean 15 racers will compete March 31 at Batesville Speedway in Batesville, Ark., and April 1 at I-55 Raceway in Pevely, Mo., a little of St. Louis. The Outlaws invade historic Eldora Speedway for a two-day event April 7-8 before racing in Indiana April 15 at Tri-State Speedway in Haubstadt and April 21 in the City of Lawrenceburg Sprint Nationals at Lawrenceburg Speedway near Cincinnati.