World of Outlaws Sprint Series At A Glance: Invading Arizona and Las Vegas Norman, OK -- Feb. 24, 2006 WHAT * After kicking off the season earlier this month in Florida, the World of Outlaws Sprint Series heads West for the $51,600 Cactus...
World of Outlaws Sprint Series At A Glance: Invading Arizona and Las Vegas
Norman, OK -- Feb. 24, 2006
* After kicking off the season earlier this month in Florida, the World of Outlaws Sprint Series heads West for the $51,600 Cactus Classic March 3 at Manzanita Speedway in Phoenix and makes its inaugural appearance March 4 at United Sports Arizona Race Park in Tucson for another $51,600 event. The Mean 15 racers will then go north for the two-day $95,885 Las Vegas World of Outlaws Nationals March 9-10 at The Dirt Track at Las Vegas Motor Speedway in conjunction with the NASCAR Nextel Cup Series weekend.
* At Manzanita Speedway, the pit gates will open at 2 p.m., spectator gates will open at 4 p.m., an autograph session with several Mean 15 racers will take place at 4:30 p.m. and on-track action begins at 6:30 p.m.
* At USA Race Park, the pit gates will open at 2 p.m., spectator gates open at 4 p.m. an autograph session with several Mean 15 racers will take place at 4:30 p.m. and on-track action begins at 6 p.m.
* Both events at The Dirt Track at Las Vegas Motor Speedway begin with gates opening at 6 p.m., qualifying at 6:30 p.m. and racing to follow. On Friday, March 10, the World of Outlaws Mean 15 racers will take part in an autograph session at 2:30 p.m. in the midway of the Las Vegas Motor Speedway's 1.5-mile oval in conjunction with NASCAR qualifying events.
* To get to Manzanita Speedway, take I-10 to exit 141 and go four miles south on 35th Avenue to West Broadway.
* To get to USA Race Park, take I-10 to Exit 265 Alvernon Way, go South 2.5 miles to Los Reales, turn Left on East Los Realos and travel a half mile to the track.
* To get to Las Vegas Motor Speedway, follow I-15 North to Exit 54 (Speedway Blvd.). The speedway is about 12 miles north of downtown Las Vegas.
* For tickets to events at Manzanita Speedway and USA Race Park, call 815-344-2023 or visit www.slspromotions.com for more information.
* For tickets to the Las Vegas World of Outlaws Nationals, and more information, please call 800-644-4444 or visit www.lvms.com.
* The Outdoor Channel will air at 8 p.m. (ET) on March 1 all the action from the World of Outlaws Sprint Series season-opening events during the 35th Annual Winternationals at Volusia Speedway Park. The Cactus Classic at Manzanita Speedway will air on March 8 followed March 15 by the event from USA Race Park in Tucson. The two-day Las Vegas World of Outlaws Nationals will air on March 22 and on March 29. The Outdoor Channel is available nationwide through the DISH Network (Channel 153) and DIRECTV (Channel 606).
ABOUT THE TRACKS
* Manzanita Speedway in Phoenix, Ariz., is a semi-banked 1/2-mile clay oval that was one of the original stops during the World of Outlaws inaugural 1978 season. Mean 15 racer Jac Haudenschild owns the track record for an Outlaws event after posting a 15.340-second lap on Jan. 30, 1997.
* United Sports Arizona Race Park is a 3/8 mile dirt oval where the World of Outlaws is competing for the first time in series history.
* The Dirt Track at Las Vegas Motor Speedway is one of the premier half-mile tracks on the World of Outlaws Sprint Series schedule. Danny Lasoski established the single-lap record of 13.719 seconds at 131.205 mph on March 6, 2004.
NEWS & NOTES
* Swindell Races On: Three-time World of Outlaws champion Sammy Swindell is slated to compete with the Outlaws several times this season in the Guy Forbrook Motorsports Volcano Joe's/Wirtgen/Jackpot Junction Mopar Maxim, including the Cactus Classic March 3 at Manzanita Speedway as well as March 4 at USA Race Park in Tucson and March 9-10 in the Las Vegas World of Outlaws Nationals at The Dirt Track at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.
* Sky high: World of Outlaws Mean 15 star Donny Schatz is going for the ride of his life on March 1 when he'll climb into a U.S. Navy Blue Angels F/A-18b Hornet for an hour-long flight with the famous air demonstration team. Riding with pilot Lt. Kevin Davis, Schatz will go through a series of maneuvers that will take him from 10 feet off of the ground to 5,000 feet in a matter of seconds, sometimes reaching 7.5 times the force of gravity. He'll try to use some of those maneuvers in the Cactus Classic on March 3 at Manzanita Speedway to try to put his ParkerStore J&J into Victory Lane.
* Have pens ready: Several of the World of Outlaws Sprint Series Mean 15 racers will sign autographs at 4:30 p.m. on March 3 at Manzanita Speedway and again at 4:30 p.m. on March 4 at USA Race Park in Tucson. Then, at 2:30 p.m. on March 10, the Mean 15 racers will sign autographs and meet fans in the midway of the Las Vegas Motor Speedway's 1.5-mile oval in conjunction with NASCAR qualifying events and before they get ready to race in the finale of the Las Vegas World of Outlaws Nationals.
* Welcome home: Kasey Kahne Motorsports signed on to become a World of Outlaws Mean 15 team with driver Joey Saldana, the 1996 Kevin Gobrecht Rookie of the Year Award winner. Together with Central Merchant Services, Curb Records and Dodge, Saldana's Mopar-powered JEI was one of the fastest cars during the season-opening events at Volusia Speedway Park. In fact, Saldana edged Jac Haudenschild in the final corner to earn a narrow victory on the second night of the season, giving NASCAR Nextel Cup Series star Kasey Kahne his first World of Outlaws victory as a car owner.
* Bonus points: Through two events, Chad Kemenah leads Joey Saldana by one point in the championship standings. Kemenah has taken full advantage of bonus points available in World of Outlaws events this season. In winning the season opener, Kemenah led the most laps (worth four bonus points) and was the fastest qualifier (worth five points). On the second night of the season, Kemenah was the second-fastest driver in time trials, which earned him another four bonus points. In fact, Kemenah is the only driver this season to post a feature victory, quick time in time trials, a Dash win and a B-main win. As the grueling season wears on, the bonus points available to drivers no doubt will play a crucial role in determining the champion.
* Primetime Racers: The Outdoor Channel broadcasts World of Outlaws action at 8 p.m. (ET) on Wednesdays, with rebroadcasts at 1 a.m. (ET) Fridays and 1 p.m. (ET) Saturdays. The Outdoor Channel is available nationwide through the DISH Network (Channel 153) and DIRECTV (Channel 606). For more information on The Outdoor Channel, go to www.theoutdoorchannel.com.
* Half-mile winners: Manzanita Speedway and The Dirt Track at Las Vegas Motor Speedway feature semi-banked half-mile ovals. The World of Outlaws season-opening events at Volusia Speedway Park were on a similar oval, with Chad Kemenah and Joey Saldana earning victories.
* 3/8-mile winners: USA Race Park is a 3/8-mile oval. The World of Outlaws will be racing on a track that size for the first time this season. The series raced 16 times on tracks that size in 2005, with Mean 15 racers Donny Schatz and Daryn Pittman each posting three victories.
* The Mean 15: The impressive 2006 edition of the World of Outlaws Sprint Series' Mean 15 racers includes Becca Anderson (No. 19 Woodring Racing JEI), Jeremy Campbell (No. 10c American Drivers Alliance/Gear Force Maxim), Brian Carlson (No. 18 Lincoln Electric Maxim), Craig Dollansky (No. 7 Karavan/VMAC J&J), Randy Hannagan (No. 1x Terry Hannagan Racing Maxim), Jac Haudenschild (No. 35 Wright One Construction Maxim), Justin Henderson (No. D1 Dan Dan The Sonic Man Schnee), Dion Hindi (No. 11D Hindi Motorsports J&J), Chad Kemenah (No. 15K UUI Underground Utilities Eagle), Jason Martin (No. 36 NOS Energy Drink/Mafia Motorsports Maxim), Terry McCarl (No. 24 Big Game Treestands/Clean-O.com/Bosma Poultry/AmeriCash Advance.com Eagle), Daryn Pittman (No. 21 Titan Garages & Carports Maxim), Joey Saldana (No. 9 Central Merchant Services/Curb Records/Dodge Mopar-powered JEI), Donny Schatz (No. 15 ParkerStore J&J), Brooke Tatnell (No. 8 Castrol/Steel Dreams/Garlic Jim's Pizza Eagle).
* Following the Las Vegas World of Outlaws Nationals, the Mean 15 racers will compete March 31 at Batesville Speedway in Batesville, Ark., and April 1 at I-55 Raceway in Pevely, Mo., a little of St. Louis. The Outlaws invade historic Eldora Speedway for a two-day event April 7-8 before racing in Indiana April 15 at Tri-State Speedway in Haubstadt and April 21 in the City of Lawrenceburg Sprint Nationals at Lawrenceburg Speedway near Cincinnati.