Benoit Treluyer at Silverstone: A shot in the dark

At Spa, theater of the next round of the WEC, the Audi trio will have revenge!

Benoit Treluyer at Silverstone: A shot in the dark

First missed appointment for Benoit Treluyer, Marcel Fässler and André Lotterer during the opening round of the FIA World Endurance (WEC) held at Silverstone last weekend (19/20 April). However, the three Audi Sport team members leave England after an instructive and hopeful event. At Spa, theater of the next round of the WEC, the trio will have revenge!

Sunday at Silverstone. Ninety-fourth lap of the race. Benoit Treluyer to whip up on the Porsche Brendon Hartley then third. The start of the race was not the easiest for French and his teammates Marcel Fässler and André Lotterer. Having started, it was forced to defy the elements slicks. Conditions that led to the German guilt and lost some time at the Audi No. 2. At the start of Copse corner, as he always did in the previous rounds, Benedict bites the buzzer to rush in fast curve. Except this time, the maneuver propelled him into the guardrail.

"Normally, if he asks afterwards, there grip! Initially, I made a mistake, but to be sure, we'll peel the data. During my stint, the track conditions were difficult, but not as much as those faced by André.

Benoit Tréluyer
Benoit Tréluyer

Photo by: Audi Communications Motorsport

When you watch the video, you can see that I am on the curb, but also on other towers that had no influence on the balance of the car. I do not try to cover me, but it seems a bit strange. There is 98% chance that it is my fault, but check the remaining 2%! " After hitting the rails, Benedict has done everything possible - even more - to get the car back to the pits. An act of great courage who went straight to the heart of fans.

"I appreciated the many messages on Twitter, but I did my duty, he whispers. I worked hard to get back on track, but after a while, I had to face the facts. It was not easy to give up because I really wanted to go after this race. When I realized that I could not steer the car, I threw in the towel, death in the soul! If my behavior has delighted fans, I am happy and grateful for their support. At a time like this one, it's huge! This is an additional source of motivation, not only for me but also for the entire Audi Sport team. "

A team that has not been rewarded for her courage during the opening round of the World Endurance Championship FIA. Stay on slicks at the height of the downpour would pay more if the rain had stopped. Unfortunately, the lull never came. Lucas di Grassi made a mistake at the wheel of the No. 1, while Andre Lotterer, the No. 2, was released without harm an off track excursion which he was not responsible. Benedict, for his part, has not experienced such luck.

"I'm really sorry for the team because the performance was there, he regrets. The championship that opens looks promising. The three manufacturers have found a remarkable job. Despite philosophies and different technical options are found in the first three places on the grid. As at the beginning of the race, he was particularly intense. Obviously, we could do without the harsh weather conditions for this first appointment. After all, we - ie manufacturers and the FIA ​​- not yet mastered 100% everything that happens. " Also disappointing is it Treluyer and Audi, this introduction is not less great promise.

"We were trying to fill some of our late when I left, says Benedict. During my stint, I could board the Toyota 7, and we visions the podium. We are now going to use the two weeks until the second race at Spa-Francorchamps to learn from Silverstone. With everything that happened this weekend, the mechanics will not have too long to embrace their loved ones and I am sorry for them. But we are all driven by the same desire ... "The back of the top step of the podium!

6 Hours of Spa-Francorchamps, the second round of the World Endurance Championship FIA, will be held on 2 and 3 May.

Benoit Treluyer

shares
comments
WEC 6 hours of Spa-Francorchamps launched in Brussels
Previous article

WEC 6 hours of Spa-Francorchamps launched in Brussels

Next article

Porsche eager to defend points lead in the Ardennes

Porsche eager to defend points lead in the Ardennes
Load comments
Why Le Mans didn't decide Toyota's WEC title outcome in 2021 Prime

Why Le Mans didn't decide Toyota's WEC title outcome in 2021

Mike Conway, Kamui Kobayashi and Jose Maria Lopez scored a second successive FIA World Endurance Championship title in the #7 Toyota, as its new Le Mans Hypercar went unbeaten. Motorsport.com recaps how each of the four classes in the 2021 season were won and picks out the best LMH and GTE drivers

WEC
Nov 28, 2021
The unanswered questions that define WEC 2021's controversial ending Prime

The unanswered questions that define WEC 2021's controversial ending

OPINION: The deeply unsatisfying ending to a brilliant World Endurance Championship GTE Pro battle in Bahrain had Ferrari provisionally heading back from the desert as the victor. But Porsche plans to appeal the outcome, which rests on a number of confusing elements that have yet to be satisfactorily explained.

WEC
Nov 9, 2021
How the WEC's heavyweight duel reached its controversial flashpoint Prime

How the WEC's heavyweight duel reached its controversial flashpoint

The Ferrari versus Porsche fight for the FIA World Endurance Championship's GTE Pro title had been a finely-poised affair, right up until Alessandro Pier Guidi's punt on Michael Christensen in the closing stages of the Bahrain 8 Hours handed Ferrari a provisional title, pending Porsche's appeal. Here's how the controversy played out.

WEC
Nov 8, 2021
The remarkable fixes Toyota used to avert another Le Mans disaster Prime

The remarkable fixes Toyota used to avert another Le Mans disaster

The 1-2 finish achieved by Toyota at this year's Le Mans 24 Hours was a result that will have surprised few, given its status as pre-event favourite. But the result was anything but straightforward, as worsening fuel pressure concerns required the team's drivers and engineers to pursue "creative fixes" on the fly. Here is the full story of how it reached the end without a lengthy pit visit

Le Mans
Nov 3, 2021
The 10 greatest drives of lost legend Jo Siffert Prime

The 10 greatest drives of lost legend Jo Siffert

It's 50 years since Jo Siffert was killed in his prime at Brands Hatch. The Swiss scored just two world championship wins in a Formula 1 career spent largely with privateer teams, but showed on numerous occasions in single-seaters and in sportscars with Porsche that he could beat any of the best drivers of his era given the right equipment.

Formula 1
Oct 24, 2021
Inside the Le Mans finish too barmy for Hollywood Prime

Inside the Le Mans finish too barmy for Hollywood

Team WRT has been at the forefront of GT racing for years and made a successful move to prototypes for 2021, capped by an LMP2 win on its Le Mans debut. It could've been even better had the race been one lap shorter, when its cars ran 1-2, but the stranger-than-fiction reality has spurred the team to reach greater heights.

Le Mans
Oct 16, 2021
Why Toyota's Le Mans victory was not as simple as it looked Prime

Why Toyota's Le Mans victory was not as simple as it looked

Toyota scored its fourth Le Mans 24 Hours victory and a 1-2, with the #7 car of Kamui Kobayashi, Mike Conway and Jose Maria Lopez beating the #8. But although it looked straightforward from the outside, Toyota faced serious problem that had to be solved with some quick-thinking and ingenuity.

Le Mans
Aug 24, 2021
What we've learned from the Le Mans 24 Hours so far Prime

What we've learned from the Le Mans 24 Hours so far

The new dawn for the FIA World Endurance Championship has arrived at Le Mans, as Hypercars prepare to duel for victory in the world's oldest endurance race. Motorsport.com picks out the 10 things we have learned in the build up to the race.

Le Mans
Aug 21, 2021