This Week in Racing History September 5 - Harry Endicott dies in wreck during practice for championship race at Jackson, Michigan, USA (1913). - Drag racer Jim Head born (1948). - Jochen ...
This Week in Racing History
September 5 - Harry Endicott dies in wreck during practice for championship race at Jackson, Michigan, USA (1913).
- Drag racer Jim Head born (1948).
- Jochen Rindt dies in crash during practice for the Italian Grand Prix at Monza (1970).
September 6 - Drag racer Kenny Bernstein born (1944).
- Cale Yarborough beats Richard Petty by .79 seconds to win the NASCAR Winston Cup race at Darlington, USA (1982).
September 7 - Stockcar racer Donnie Allison born (1939).
- Jackie Stewart, driving a Matra-Ford, wins the Italian Grand Prix at Monza and cliches his first F1 World Driving title (1969).
- Chris Bradley dies in crash during ASA stockcar race at Minnesota State Fair (1998).
September 8 - Team McLaren member Teddy Mayer born (1935).
- Indycar driver Johnnie Parsons dies of natural causes (1984).
September 9 - George Brayen dies in crash during championship race at Syracuse, New York, USA (1934).
- NASCAR team owner Felix Sabates born (1942).
- First post-World War II autoraces are held on the outskirts of Paris, France. The Robert Benoist Cup for cars with engines less than 1.5 liters is won by Gordini in a Simca-Fiat. The Coupe de la Liberation for cars with engines from 1.5-3.0 liters is won by Henri Louveau in a Maserati. The Coupe de la Prisonniers for cars with engines greater than 3 liters is won by Jean-Pierre Wilmille in a Bugatti (1945).
September 10 - Raymond Somner dies in crash during race at Cobours, France (1950).
- F1 racer Bruni Giacomelli born (1952).
- Studebaker announces that its 1964 model cars will be introduced with endurance trials on the Bonneville Salt Flats (1963).
September 11 - CART team owner Bruce McCall born (1946).
- Ronnie Peterson dies from injuries suffered in crash during the Italian Grand Prix at Monza (1978).
Previous installments of This Week in Racing History can be found at the Motorsport News International website (http://www.motorsport.com/).
Michael Stucker stucker@$sugar-land.spc.slb.com Remove "$" from email address above. Copyright Michael J. Stucker 1999 www.flash.net/~cstucker
SVRA: US Zippo Vintage Grand Prix Schedule, Watkins Glen
Geoffery Bodine at Watkins Glen
About this article
|Drivers||Jim Head , Kenny Bernstein , Jackie Stewart , Richard Petty , Donnie Allison , Ronnie Peterson , Felix Sabates , Cale Yarborough , Jochen Rindt|