Tander admits Supercars comeback unlikely

Garth Tander has all but closed the door on a full-time Supercars comeback, admitting only a race-winning seat would tempt him back into the category.

Tander admits Supercars comeback unlikely

The three-time Bathurst 1000 was left without a full-time drive on the eve of the 2019 season, dumped by Garry Rogers Motorsport in favour of Richie Stanaway as part of the Boost Mobile sponsorship deal.

He wasn't unemployed for long, however, Triple Eight almost immediate signing Tander as an enduro co-driver for Shane van Gisbergen – a pairing that yielded three podiums from the four long-distance races, including a win on the Gold Coast.

Speaking on the Below the Bonnet podcast Tander revealed that the impressive enduro campaign has sparked interest from teams in a full-time comeback in 2020.

But he added that he's not tempted by anything that's potentially on offer, a co-driver role with a top team Tander's preference over an uncompetitive full-time drive.

"The phone has rung a couple of times over the last three or four weeks,” said Tander.

“A lot of people have asked, since what happened with me in January, are you going to try and get back in full-time in 2020? And I said I’d only do it if I was in a car I knew was really capable of results.

“I’ve got myself into a position with Triple Eight, I’ve got a car I know when we go to the track, every time we go to the track, we’re a chance to win the race. It’s been a long time for me since I’ve been in that position.

“Unless [Triple Eight boss Roland Dane] next year is running a third car for me, I don’t see any desire to come back.

“If I was in a car that was capable of being top three, top five every weekend then yes, you’d consider it – but I think the reality of someone hiring a 42-year-old to go back into that environment is very slim.”

For more with Garth Tander, check out the latest episode of Below the Bonnet.

 
shares
comments
Supercars to refund tickets after KISS cancellation
Previous article

Supercars to refund tickets after KISS cancellation

Next article

Supercars adds $500,000 prize pool to Super2

Supercars adds $500,000 prize pool to Super2
Load comments
Why Courtney and Tickford are a dream match Prime

Why Courtney and Tickford are a dream match

James Courtney has been around the block in his motorsport career it's fair to say. After a single-seater career cut short, he's won everything there is to win in Supercars. Following a rocky ride recently in the Australian category, he's found a happy hunting ground with Tickford Racing.

Supercars
Oct 21, 2021
How taming his temper shaped Supercars' slow-burn star Prime

How taming his temper shaped Supercars' slow-burn star

His decision to leave Brad Jones Racing was the biggest shock of the Australian Supercars silly season so far. But for Nick Percat, it comes as the culmination of a personal journey that has made him into one of the most rounded drivers in the series, now in search of a seat that can make him a champion

Supercars
Sep 17, 2021
Why replacing Supercars' GOAT with a teenager is worth the risk for T8 Prime

Why replacing Supercars' GOAT with a teenager is worth the risk for T8

On the face of it, picking an 18-year-old rookie to replace arguably the greatest Supercars driver of all time is a risky move. But as Jamie Whincup takes up a team principal role and hands his car to Broc Feeney, it's one that he is confident will be rewarded in the fullness of time - time which wasn't afforded to Whincup in his early days

Supercars
Sep 1, 2021
How Randle went from fighting cancer to battling for Supercars contention Prime

How Randle went from fighting cancer to battling for Supercars contention

After his fledgling career was paused by a battle with testicular cancer, Thomas Randle then had to wrestle with finding a drive in Supercars after he got the all-clear. It's been a long road for the Melbourne native but, after two lengthy battles, he's finally got a full-time drive to look forward to

Supercars
Jun 29, 2021
How crisis talks over Supercars’ Gen3 future could leave it without a paddle Prime

How crisis talks over Supercars’ Gen3 future could leave it without a paddle

With Supercars’ Gen3 era on the horizon, a shift is set to take place – in more ways than one – but, as has become clear in recent weeks, the plan to bin the stick and use paddles with electronic assisted shift has been met with fierce opposition

Supercars
May 24, 2021
Can DJR still be a Supercars powerhouse after Penske? Prime

Can DJR still be a Supercars powerhouse after Penske?

Roger Penske's whirlwind Australian Supercars sojourn is over. After six seasons, three drivers' titles, three teams' championships and a Bathurst 1000 crown, The Captain has sold his controlling stake in Dick Johnson Racing back to the squad and walked away from the category.

Supercars
Feb 26, 2021
Can Whincup be Triple Eight's ruthless leader? Prime

Can Whincup be Triple Eight's ruthless leader?

Supercars' most successful team of the past 15 years is set for a radical shakeup next year when Jamie Whincup retires from driving and takes over the reins at Triple Eight. But does he have what it takes to be the new Roland Dane?

Supercars
Feb 8, 2021
How a lifetime Supercars deal broke down in one year Prime

How a lifetime Supercars deal broke down in one year

David Reynolds inked what was effectively a lifetime deal with Erebus in 2019 – only to walk out a year later. What went wrong?

Supercars
Dec 18, 2020