INTERESTING POINTS * Russell Ingall took the lead in this year's championship after finishing fifth at the recent Super Cheap Auto 1000 at Bathurst. It was the first time he has led the championship since the Mallala round in 1998. * Marcos ...
* Russell Ingall took the lead in this year's championship after finishing fifth at the recent Super Cheap Auto 1000 at Bathurst. It was the first time he has led the championship since the Mallala round in 1998.
* Marcos Ambrose had his first car race at Symmons Plains last year despite growing up in Tasmania and having his first go-kart race there.
* Russell Ingall is one of the most experienced drivers in the field when it comes to V8 Supercars and Symmons Plains. He showed that last year by winning the round.
* Marcos Ambrose had a chance to wrap-up the round and last year's championship at Symmons Plains when he finished second in race one and then won race two. Unfortunately he failed to finish race three because of an engine problem.
* Russell Ingall currently leads Marcos Ambrose in this year's championship by 66 points with two rounds remaining (Symmons Plains and Phillip Island).
THOUGHTS ON SYMMONS PLAINS RACEWAY--..
RUSSELL INGALL -- CALTEX RACING
ecause of the simplicity of the track and the fact that we will be well under one minute per lap, the whole field could be split by a single second. There could be a few surprise runners at the front because it is not too technical. I think that could mix things up a bit, especially with a few drivers who are not in championship contention towards the front. The secret will be lots of horsepower and lots of brakes. You will need a strong right foot.
MOST MEMORABLE MOMENT
think that would have to be having our cars towed from the pit "tents" by a tractor because the rain had bogged everything down. The tents were then filled with woodchips which was not too good for the backs for the mechanics under the cars or for the balance on the air jacks. Thankfully plenty of changes have been made since those days. Obviously winning at the circuit for the first time last year was definitely a memorable time for me.
MARCOS AMBROSE -- PIRTEK RACING
guess it was pretty good to finally get the chance to race at Symmons Plains last year after growing up just down the road. We had a couple of good results in the first two races, but then we had a rare engine drama in race three which probably cost us the round and the chance to wrap-up the championship in front of a home crowd. This year we have some chasing to do and we will be giving it our best shot.
MOST MEMOR ABLE MOMENT
guess my fondest memories of Symmons Plains are sitting at the hairpin watching everyone like Brock, Johnson, Lowndes, Ingall and Bondy locking their brakes. It wasn't too different last year, but I was watching them from inside a car and a couple of the names had changed. Racing in front of my home crowd for the first time last year was pretty amazing. The support from the Tasmanian fans was just incredible.