'Save Larko' petition nearing 20,000 signatures

An online petition calling for Supercars to reinstate Mark Larkham to its broadcast team is nearing 20,000 signatures.

'Save Larko' petition nearing 20,000 signatures

Fan Mark Doust set up the Save Larko 2020 campaign on change.org in the wake of the Larkham axing, with more than 18,000 people having since signed the petition.

Meanwhile, the Save Mark Larkham 2020 Facebook page has almost four thousands likes.

According to Doust, who works in emergency services, the campaign is about Supercars fans who pay for both tickets and the Fox Sports coverage having their say.

"I've got nothing to do with the industry at all, except for 30 years of watching the series," he told Motorsport.com.

"When Supercars was on free TV it was different, but now there's a transaction involved. Now I'm a customer. Now I've got a say in this.

"If Supercars doesn't start listening to its customers, and we are customers in the truest sense as we're paying for the product, there won't be a support base. And then you don't have a product. It's business 101.

"I think that it's a little late to start listening to customers once they are angry. You know you have got your business model wrong if you can't measure what the fan base wants along the way.

"There isn't a bottomless pit of fans. We're not a population of 300 million. You only get so many cracks before people jump off.

"It's a mind-bogglingly stupid business decision, and it shows the people pulling the strings aren't motor racing people.

"The last thing you want is to upset the best part of 20,000 fans. Because some of them are going to take their money and spend it elsewhere."

Doust urged fans to continue the movement by using hashtags such as #SaveLarko and #yoursportyourpassion on Supercars social media posts, and even taking banners to the track next season.

"We want to take the air out of anything Supercars does," he said. "It's important we make the point that we aren't just fans, we are customers."

Larkham penned an open letter to fans earlier today admitting he's been "gobsmacked" by the support.

He also asked fans not to boycott Supercars-related sponsors as a response to his exit from the broadcast.

shares
comments

Related video

Larkham "gobsmacked" by TV exit fall-out
Previous article

Larkham "gobsmacked" by TV exit fall-out

Next article

Tickford signs Best for Super2

Tickford signs Best for Super2
Load comments
Why Courtney and Tickford are a dream match Prime

Why Courtney and Tickford are a dream match

James Courtney has been around the block in his motorsport career it's fair to say. After a single-seater career cut short, he's won everything there is to win in Supercars. Following a rocky ride recently in the Australian category, he's found a happy hunting ground with Tickford Racing.

Supercars
Oct 21, 2021
How taming his temper shaped Supercars' slow-burn star Prime

How taming his temper shaped Supercars' slow-burn star

His decision to leave Brad Jones Racing was the biggest shock of the Australian Supercars silly season so far. But for Nick Percat, it comes as the culmination of a personal journey that has made him into one of the most rounded drivers in the series, now in search of a seat that can make him a champion

Supercars
Sep 17, 2021
Why replacing Supercars' GOAT with a teenager is worth the risk for T8 Prime

Why replacing Supercars' GOAT with a teenager is worth the risk for T8

On the face of it, picking an 18-year-old rookie to replace arguably the greatest Supercars driver of all time is a risky move. But as Jamie Whincup takes up a team principal role and hands his car to Broc Feeney, it's one that he is confident will be rewarded in the fullness of time - time which wasn't afforded to Whincup in his early days

Supercars
Sep 1, 2021
How Randle went from fighting cancer to battling for Supercars contention Prime

How Randle went from fighting cancer to battling for Supercars contention

After his fledgling career was paused by a battle with testicular cancer, Thomas Randle then had to wrestle with finding a drive in Supercars after he got the all-clear. It's been a long road for the Melbourne native but, after two lengthy battles, he's finally got a full-time drive to look forward to

Supercars
Jun 29, 2021
How crisis talks over Supercars’ Gen3 future could leave it without a paddle Prime

How crisis talks over Supercars’ Gen3 future could leave it without a paddle

With Supercars’ Gen3 era on the horizon, a shift is set to take place – in more ways than one – but, as has become clear in recent weeks, the plan to bin the stick and use paddles with electronic assisted shift has been met with fierce opposition

Supercars
May 24, 2021
Can DJR still be a Supercars powerhouse after Penske? Prime

Can DJR still be a Supercars powerhouse after Penske?

Roger Penske's whirlwind Australian Supercars sojourn is over. After six seasons, three drivers' titles, three teams' championships and a Bathurst 1000 crown, The Captain has sold his controlling stake in Dick Johnson Racing back to the squad and walked away from the category.

Supercars
Feb 26, 2021
Can Whincup be Triple Eight's ruthless leader? Prime

Can Whincup be Triple Eight's ruthless leader?

Supercars' most successful team of the past 15 years is set for a radical shakeup next year when Jamie Whincup retires from driving and takes over the reins at Triple Eight. But does he have what it takes to be the new Roland Dane?

Supercars
Feb 8, 2021
How a lifetime Supercars deal broke down in one year Prime

How a lifetime Supercars deal broke down in one year

David Reynolds inked what was effectively a lifetime deal with Erebus in 2019 – only to walk out a year later. What went wrong?

Supercars
Dec 18, 2020