Premier slams "reckless" Adelaide 500 return deal

South Australian premier Steven Marshall has slammed a pledge from opposition leader Peter Malinauskas to revive the Adelaide 500.

Premier slams "reckless" Adelaide 500 return deal
Listen to this article

The long-standing event was controversially dumped by the South Australian government late last week, based on a recommendation from the SA Tourism Commission.

Rising costs, falling attendances and uncertainty over crowds were cited as reasons for the shock axing.

The news has left Supercars scrambling for a new season finale for next year, the Gold Coast now the favourite to close out the 2021 campaign.

While the short-term future of the event is set in stone, a return in 2023 is not entirely out of the question.

SA's Labor leader Malinauskas flew to Sydney yesterday to meet with Supercars CEO Sean Seamer, signing a memorandum of understanding to revive the event if his party wins the 2022 state election.

Before Malinauskas had even touched down in Sydney the deal copped a whack from current premier Marshall, who told local reporters that the idea was "reckless" and that the opposition leader is "dangerously misinformed" about the ins and outs of the Adelaide 500.

"I'm very concerned that... Peter Malinauskas is dangerously misinformed about the basics of this race, the costs of this race, the way that we can run it going forward," Marshall said.

"It seems like a reckless policy development methodology from Peter Malinouskas.

"Don't forget, the SATC board, representing the industry, looked at all of the data. And they formed an unanimous recommendation and view that they presented to us in government.

"Now we've accepted that with great reluctance. We would love to keep this event going forward, but we've looked at all that data, and it's just not viable – especially in this corona situation that we're in at the moment."

Formula E has emerged as a potential replacement for Supercars on the famous city parklands circuit, the series confirming to Motorsport.com that talks have been held.

shares
comments

Related video

Opposition signs Adelaide return deal with Supercars
Previous article

Opposition signs Adelaide return deal with Supercars

Next article

Why Supercars now needs a new "human salt harvester"

Why Supercars now needs a new "human salt harvester"
Load comments
Why Courtney and Tickford are a dream match Prime

Why Courtney and Tickford are a dream match

James Courtney has been around the block in his motorsport career it's fair to say. After a single-seater career cut short, he's won everything there is to win in Supercars. Following a rocky ride recently in the Australian category, he's found a happy hunting ground with Tickford Racing.

Supercars
Oct 21, 2021
How taming his temper shaped Supercars' slow-burn star Prime

How taming his temper shaped Supercars' slow-burn star

His decision to leave Brad Jones Racing was the biggest shock of the Australian Supercars silly season so far. But for Nick Percat, it comes as the culmination of a personal journey that has made him into one of the most rounded drivers in the series, now in search of a seat that can make him a champion

Supercars
Sep 17, 2021
Why replacing Supercars' GOAT with a teenager is worth the risk for T8 Prime

Why replacing Supercars' GOAT with a teenager is worth the risk for T8

On the face of it, picking an 18-year-old rookie to replace arguably the greatest Supercars driver of all time is a risky move. But as Jamie Whincup takes up a team principal role and hands his car to Broc Feeney, it's one that he is confident will be rewarded in the fullness of time - time which wasn't afforded to Whincup in his early days

Supercars
Sep 1, 2021
How Randle went from fighting cancer to battling for Supercars contention Prime

How Randle went from fighting cancer to battling for Supercars contention

After his fledgling career was paused by a battle with testicular cancer, Thomas Randle then had to wrestle with finding a drive in Supercars after he got the all-clear. It's been a long road for the Melbourne native but, after two lengthy battles, he's finally got a full-time drive to look forward to

Supercars
Jun 29, 2021
How crisis talks over Supercars’ Gen3 future could leave it without a paddle Prime

How crisis talks over Supercars’ Gen3 future could leave it without a paddle

With Supercars’ Gen3 era on the horizon, a shift is set to take place – in more ways than one – but, as has become clear in recent weeks, the plan to bin the stick and use paddles with electronic assisted shift has been met with fierce opposition

Supercars
May 24, 2021
Can DJR still be a Supercars powerhouse after Penske? Prime

Can DJR still be a Supercars powerhouse after Penske?

Roger Penske's whirlwind Australian Supercars sojourn is over. After six seasons, three drivers' titles, three teams' championships and a Bathurst 1000 crown, The Captain has sold his controlling stake in Dick Johnson Racing back to the squad and walked away from the category.

Supercars
Feb 26, 2021
Can Whincup be Triple Eight's ruthless leader? Prime

Can Whincup be Triple Eight's ruthless leader?

Supercars' most successful team of the past 15 years is set for a radical shakeup next year when Jamie Whincup retires from driving and takes over the reins at Triple Eight. But does he have what it takes to be the new Roland Dane?

Supercars
Feb 8, 2021
How a lifetime Supercars deal broke down in one year Prime

How a lifetime Supercars deal broke down in one year

David Reynolds inked what was effectively a lifetime deal with Erebus in 2019 – only to walk out a year later. What went wrong?

Supercars
Dec 18, 2020