Nick Percat says he will definitely stay with V8 Supercars squad LD Motorsport next year, quashing rumours that he could be on the move back to a bigger team.
Motorsport.com understands that Percat’s initial deal with LDM was for two years, with an option clause on the second year.
Percat has now confirmed that he will stay with the small Melbourne-based squad for a second season in 2016, despite rumours that he could play a part in the 2016 silly season.
“I have a two-year contract. It’s a two-year deal with Lucas [Dumbrell],” he told Motorsport.com at Queensland Raceway.
“The team is growing, it’s heading in the right direction.”
Percat joined LDM at the beginning of this season, after the movement of Racing Entitlements Contracts left him without a seat at Walkinshaw Racing. The 2011 Bathurst 1000 winner is still understood to be on the radar at the fancier end of pit-lane, although it now seems a bigger team might have to wait until 2017 to get its hands on the South Australian.
Engine woes causing problems
Percat has enjoyed some stand-out results so far this season for the minnow team, with Top 10 finishes at Barbagallo, Winton, and Hidden Valley, where he finished an impressive sixth in Sunday’s 200-kilometre race.
However, he has also had three DNFs from the last seven races, and fell short of a Top 10 finish at Queensland Raceway despite qualifying ninth on Sunday morning.
According to Percat, the small dip in form is down a lack of engine development.
“We’ve lost a little bit of momentum at the moment, but it’s purely down to our engine programme,” he said.
“We’re having a few issues with that. Once we get the engine side of things ticking along the way they should be we won’t be qualifying so far back, and then we won’t be caught up in the desperate racing at the starts and things like that.”