McLean-Scott qualify 18th for QLD 500. Brisbane-based drivers Cameron McLean and Tony Scott will start their Ford Falcon XR8 from 18th grid position in the V.I.P. Pet Foods Queensland 500 after a strong run in qualifying today at ...
McLean-Scott qualify 18th for QLD 500.
Brisbane-based drivers Cameron McLean and Tony Scott will start their Ford Falcon XR8 from 18th grid position in the V.I.P. Pet Foods Queensland 500 after a strong run in qualifying today at Queensland Raceway, near Ipswich.
The V.I.P. Pet Food Racing-Paragon Motorsport team looked set to progress to the Top 15 Shootout when McLean came ninth in the final practice session this morning and then 10th with a lap of 1 minute 11.65 seconds in qualifying for the faster half of the 35-car field.
They held that position for most of the following qualifying session for slower cars, until the weather cooled suddenly with just minutes to go.
Lap times tumbled in the better conditions and the team watched powerless as McLean-Scott were bumped back through the grid.
"As soon as it started to cool we went backwards. There's nothing you can do about that," McLean said.
"We were very keen to get into the Top 15 Shootout and did everything we could, but tomorrow is another day and whether we're eighth or 18th on the grid isn't going to make much difference over 161 laps.
"It will be more important to stay on the same lap as the leaders, keep up a consistent pace and make sure our pit stop strategy is right."
McLean is expected to take the first driving stint in the race, which starts at 1 pm. The team plans to make three pit stops.
V.I.P. Pet Foods owner Tony Quinn will start his first V8 Supercar race from 35th spot, in a Holden Commodore shared with veteran Andy Miedecke.
RESULTS (Qualifying driver underlined):
18. Cameron McLean/Tony Scott (V.I.P. Pet Foods Falcon XR8) 1:11.52
1. Marcos Ambrose/Paul Weel (Falcon) 1:10.87
2. Mark Skaife/Jason Bright (Commodore) 1:10.91
3. Brad Jones/John Bowe (Falcon) 1:11.10
4. David Besnard/Simon Wills (Falcon) 1:11.18
5. Greg Murphy/Todd Kelly (Commodore) 1:11.37
6. Max Wilson/Dean Canto (Falcon) 1:11.39
7. Rick Kelly/Nathan Pretty (Commodore) 1:11.40
8. Russell Ingall/Steven Richards (Commodore) 1;11.44
9. Larry Perkins/Paul Dumbrell (Commodore) 1:11.83
10. Craig Baird/Mark Noske (Commodore) 1;11.92
11. Mark Larkham/Will Power (Falcon) 1:11.96
12. Matthew White/Tony Longhurst (Falcon) 1:11.99
13. Andy Priaulx/Yvan Muller (Commodore) 1:12.09
14. Steve Ellery/Luke Youlden (Falcon) 1:12.35
15. Glenn Seton/Owen Kelly (Falcon) 1:13.01
CHAMPIONSHIP STANDINGS (after Round 8): 214 points Cameron McLean (28th overall); 1775 Mark Skaife, 1096 Jason Bright, 1002 Greg Murphy, 946 Todd Kelly, 941 Marcos Ambrose, 791 Steve Richards.
TIMETABLE: Sunday - 10.30 Warm-up (20 min.) 1.00 V.I.P. Pet Foods Queensland 500 (161 laps, 500 kms). TV - Network Ten, Sunday 12.00 - 5.00.