Holdsworth braced for Darwin return

Lee Holdsworth says it’s been ‘preparation as normal’ in the lead up to his return to Hidden Valley, where he was seriously injured in a crash last year.

Holdsworth braced for Darwin return
The crashed car of Lee Holdsworth, Team 18 Holden
Lee Holdsworth, Team 18 Holden
Lee Holdsworth, Team 18 Holden
Lee Holdsworth, Team 18 Holden
Lee Holdsworth, Team 18 Holden
Lee Holdsworth, Team 18 Holden
Lee Holdsworth, Team 18 Holden
Lee Holdsworth, Team 18 Holden

The Team 18 star fractured his pelvis and right knee at the Darwin circuit after being fired into a concrete wall last year, the injuries forcing him to the sidelines for the Townsville, Queensland Raceway, and Sydney Motorsport Park events before he made his comeback at the Sandown 500.

This weekend he’ll return to Hidden Valley for the first time since the crash, and while he conceded after the last outing at Winton that he’s expecting a few flashbacks, he’s confident it won’t affect his on-track performance.

“It’s something that… obviously going back there, the memories will come back,” he told Motorsport.com.

“But it certainly won’t affect me when I’m on track. It will be preparation as normal.

“When there’s nothing you can do about those things, there’s no point worrying about them. It was just one of those things.

“It’s in the back of my head, but I’m going up there to just do the best job that I can.

“I’ve made sure they’re addressing the problem on the track, and from what I’ve been told it won’t be a problem this year.”

The Holdsworth crash had indeed led to safety upgrades, with a 115 metre double-stacked tyre wall now situation along the concrete wall from the exit of Turn 1 to Turn 4.

According to the Northern Territory’s Department Of Tourism and Culture Facilities Development Officer of Sport and Recreation Errol Edwards, the decision to make the changes was swift given Holdsworth’s injuries.

“This year is the 20th year of the event at our venue, and in 20 years we’ve only had one accident in that location,” he said.

“Every time we have an incident, everything is reviewed and we try and put measures in place to prevent anything major happening. Unfortunately the first accident we had in that part of the track last year saw Lee Holdsworth sustain some physical injuries, not just car damage. So we seriously looked into it. When you have an incident like that, you need to an immediate reaction.

“The recommendation from CAMS was to put a tyre barrier along the full length of that wall, which is 115 metres – that’s a fair length, which is why we’re using 2500 tyres. It’s 1.2-metres high and two rows thick, tied together with conveyor belt.

“It’s all one continuous length, so it’s been a tough job to put it all together.”

 

shares
comments
Supercars not concerned by Network Ten issues

Previous article

Supercars not concerned by Network Ten issues

Next article

HSV Racing 'realistic' about Hidden Valley chances

HSV Racing 'realistic' about Hidden Valley chances
Load comments
How crisis talks over Supercars’ Gen3 future could leave it without a paddle Prime

How crisis talks over Supercars’ Gen3 future could leave it without a paddle

With Supercars’ Gen3 era on the horizon, a shift is set to take place – in more ways than one – but, as has become clear in recent weeks, the plan to bin the stick and use paddles with electronic assisted shift has been met with fierce opposition

Supercars
May 24, 2021
Can DJR still be a Supercars powerhouse after Penske? Prime

Can DJR still be a Supercars powerhouse after Penske?

Roger Penske's whirlwind Australian Supercars sojourn is over. After six seasons, three drivers' titles, three teams' championships and a Bathurst 1000 crown, The Captain has sold his controlling stake in Dick Johnson Racing back to the squad and walked away from the category.

Supercars
Feb 26, 2021
Can Whincup be Triple Eight's ruthless leader? Prime

Can Whincup be Triple Eight's ruthless leader?

Supercars' most successful team of the past 15 years is set for a radical shakeup next year when Jamie Whincup retires from driving and takes over the reins at Triple Eight. But does he have what it takes to be the new Roland Dane?

Supercars
Feb 8, 2021
How a lifetime Supercars deal broke down in one year Prime

How a lifetime Supercars deal broke down in one year

David Reynolds inked what was effectively a lifetime deal with Erebus in 2019 – only to walk out a year later. What went wrong?

Supercars
Dec 18, 2020
Why Supercars now needs a new "human salt harvester" Prime

Why Supercars now needs a new "human salt harvester"

Scott McLaughlin has been a controversial figure in Supercars over the past few years but, as he heads off to a fresh challenge in IndyCar, the Australian tin-top series needs to find someone else to fill his drama-filled boots as the category enters a new era...

Supercars
Nov 3, 2020
Why 2020 isn't McLaughlin's greatest title Prime

Why 2020 isn't McLaughlin's greatest title

Scott McLaughlin was quick to describe his third Supercars title as his best yet. But even though it didn't match the dramatic backstory of his 2018 triumph, there's a good reason for him wanting to control the narrative this time around.

Supercars
Oct 2, 2020
Why a Bathurst finale is risky business for Supercars Prime

Why a Bathurst finale is risky business for Supercars

The Bathurst Grand Final may provide Supercars its greatest spectacle yet – but there's a risk it will force the series to face a hard truth.

Supercars
Sep 4, 2020
Why Scott McLaughlin must become an IndyCar driver Prime

Why Scott McLaughlin must become an IndyCar driver

Scott McLaughlin, two-time and current Supercars champion, should have been making his NTT IndyCar Series debut for Team Penske at the GP of Indianapolis, but the Covid-19 pandemic forced a rescheduling that has put the brakes on his career switch. But David Malsher-Lopez explains why the New Zealander deserves this opportunity as soon as possible.

IndyCar
Jul 4, 2020