EASTERN CREEK - FACTS AND FIGURES The following are details relating to this weekend's fourth round of the V8 Supercar Championship Series at Eastern Creek Raceway in Sydney. Also find following thoughts, results and memorable moments from both...
EASTERN CREEK - FACTS AND FIGURES
The following are details relating to this weekend's fourth round of the V8 Supercar Championship Series at Eastern Creek Raceway in Sydney. Also find following thoughts, results and memorable moments from both Pirtek Racing's Marcos Ambrose and Caltex Racing's Russell Ingall.
* Marcos Ambrose clinched back-to-back V8 Supercar championships in his Pirtek Ford in the final round of the series at Eastern Creek last year.
* Russell Ingall jumped from fourth to second place in the final round last season in his Caltex Falcon to give Stone Brothers Racing and historic 1-2 finish.
* In six previous round appearances at Eastern Creek Ambrose has only qualified off the front row once and has never finished worse than seventh overall. In his 12 race starts he has never finished worse than 13th.
* While Russell Ingall is sitting second in the overall championship to Marcos Ambrose by 11 points -- he is actually leading the title chase by 25 points when you deduct the worst result of the opening three rounds. Each driver will deducted his worst round from the opening 10 rounds of the championship. The final three rounds will all count towards the final championship tally.
* Russell Ingall is coming off a race-three win at Barbagallo Raceway in Perth three weeks ago where he finished second overall to Steve Richards and one place overall ahead of Marcos Ambrose. It was Ingall's first race victory in WA and his best overall result.
* Stone Brothers Racing conducted a success test at Queensland Raceway on Friday with both Ingall and Ambrose showing plenty of pace.
THOUGHTS ON EASTERN CREEK--..
MARCOS AMBROSE -- PIRTEK RACING
Eastern Creek is a frustrating track because whenever you ever drive on it, it feels like you should be going the other way. All the corners over the back all have kinks before the entry, which makes it difficult to pass. While saying that, it is safe, wide and has good amenities for the fans and the teams, so I actually enjoy going there. We have had some tremendous success there the last couple of years so that increases your attraction to a circuit.
MOST MEMORABLE MOMENT
I guess Eastern Creek is pretty special place for me because that is where I have clinched my two V8 Supercar championships. Last year we managed to do it on the Saturday evening and then have some fun on the Sunday. If things work out for me in the US this could be the last time I race at the circuit for a long time. It was pretty cool on the Sunday last year because Russell managed to jump up to second and give SBR an amazing 1-2 finish in the championship. It was the first time that had been done for a long time.
RUSSELL INGALL -- CALTEX RACING
Eastern Creek is a little bit like Phillip Island in that if you have a dog of a car it is not a nice place to be. Considering it is not one of my favourite circuits I always have reasonable results there. It is not a hard track to win on if you have the right toy to play with.
MOST MEMORABLE MOMENT
There is no doubt that managing to jump to second place in the championship behind Marcos at the final round last year was something pretty special. The Caltex team just worked its butt off all weekend and refused to give up. In the end all I had to do was sit behind (Mark) Skaife and finish third in the final race to give SBR a 1-2 finish in the championship. Skaife and I got a bit too close to each other at Eastern Creek the year before, but that is something I would rather forget about.