Dirt controversy triggers Supercars rule change

Supercars has tweaked its rules off the back of the dirt-slinging controversy at Mount Panorama last month.

Dirt controversy triggers Supercars rule change

Cameron Waters was accused of foul play during the Top 10 Shootout at Bathurst when he dragged dirt onto the track at The Esses on his cool-down lap.

Chaz Mostert, the next driver on the scene, survived a huge moment as he came across the dirt and lost three positions compared to qualifying.

Shane van Gisbergen also lost time at that part of the circuit but still went on to claim pole position.

Waters immediately refuted that it was a tactical move and avoided a penalty after being summoned by driving standards advisor Craig Baird after the Shootout.

He also apologised to Mostert and van Gisbergen and threw his support behind a rule change that would have see drivers penalised for dragging dirt on the track even if it was careless rather than malicious.

Supercars has responded by altering its operations manual to include 'cool down laps during non-race sessions'.

Schedule B2 now reads: "3.12 During any race session, a driver must not consistently:

3.12.1 Cut corners by driving over the inside of kerbs or off the race track surface; or

3.12.2 Cut any corner which results in material or debris being brought onto the race track; or

3.12.3 Perform any act which results in material or debris being brought onto the race track.

3.13 During any non-race session (including, without limitation, any practice or qualifying Session (including any cool down laps during such Sessions)), a driver must take care not to:

3.13.1 Cut corners by driving over the inside of kerbs or off the race track surface; or

3.13.2 Cut any corner which results in material or debris being brought onto the race track; or

3.13.3 Perform any act which results in material or debris being brought onto the race track."

shares
comments

Related video

No paddock access for Supercars fans at Sandown

Previous article

No paddock access for Supercars fans at Sandown

Next article

Triple Eight says van Gisbergen will drive at Sandown

Triple Eight says van Gisbergen will drive at Sandown
Load comments
How taming his temper shaped Supercars' slow-burn star Prime

How taming his temper shaped Supercars' slow-burn star

His decision to leave Brad Jones Racing was the biggest shock of the Australian Supercars silly season so far. But for Nick Percat, it comes as the culmination of a personal journey that has made him into one of the most rounded drivers in the series, now in search of a seat that can make him a champion

Supercars
Sep 17, 2021
Why replacing Supercars' GOAT with a teenager is worth the risk for T8 Prime

Why replacing Supercars' GOAT with a teenager is worth the risk for T8

On the face of it, picking an 18-year-old rookie to replace arguably the greatest Supercars driver of all time is a risky move. But as Jamie Whincup takes up a team principal role and hands his car to Broc Feeney, it's one that he is confident will be rewarded in the fullness of time - time which wasn't afforded to Whincup in his early days

Supercars
Sep 1, 2021
How Randle went from fighting cancer to battling for Supercars contention Prime

How Randle went from fighting cancer to battling for Supercars contention

After his fledgling career was paused by a battle with testicular cancer, Thomas Randle then had to wrestle with finding a drive in Supercars after he got the all-clear. It's been a long road for the Melbourne native but, after two lengthy battles, he's finally got a full-time drive to look forward to

Supercars
Jun 29, 2021
How crisis talks over Supercars’ Gen3 future could leave it without a paddle Prime

How crisis talks over Supercars’ Gen3 future could leave it without a paddle

With Supercars’ Gen3 era on the horizon, a shift is set to take place – in more ways than one – but, as has become clear in recent weeks, the plan to bin the stick and use paddles with electronic assisted shift has been met with fierce opposition

Supercars
May 24, 2021
Can DJR still be a Supercars powerhouse after Penske? Prime

Can DJR still be a Supercars powerhouse after Penske?

Roger Penske's whirlwind Australian Supercars sojourn is over. After six seasons, three drivers' titles, three teams' championships and a Bathurst 1000 crown, The Captain has sold his controlling stake in Dick Johnson Racing back to the squad and walked away from the category.

Supercars
Feb 26, 2021
Can Whincup be Triple Eight's ruthless leader? Prime

Can Whincup be Triple Eight's ruthless leader?

Supercars' most successful team of the past 15 years is set for a radical shakeup next year when Jamie Whincup retires from driving and takes over the reins at Triple Eight. But does he have what it takes to be the new Roland Dane?

Supercars
Feb 8, 2021
How a lifetime Supercars deal broke down in one year Prime

How a lifetime Supercars deal broke down in one year

David Reynolds inked what was effectively a lifetime deal with Erebus in 2019 – only to walk out a year later. What went wrong?

Supercars
Dec 18, 2020
Why Supercars now needs a new "human salt harvester" Prime

Why Supercars now needs a new "human salt harvester"

Scott McLaughlin has been a controversial figure in Supercars over the past few years but, as he heads off to a fresh challenge in IndyCar, the Australian tin-top series needs to find someone else to fill his drama-filled boots as the category enters a new era...

Supercars
Nov 3, 2020