July 15, 2001 - A sunny winter day greeted today's Calder Park motorsport action, with Holden Racing Team driver and Championship leader Mark Skaife driving to Pole position for the first of tomorrow's three Shell Championship Series races at the...
July 15, 2001 - A sunny winter day greeted today's Calder Park motorsport action, with Holden Racing Team driver and Championship leader Mark Skaife driving to Pole position for the first of tomorrow's three Shell Championship Series races at the Melbourne circuit.
Skaife won the coveted pole position spot in his VX Commodore after a brilliant one lap effort during the high pressure top ten shootout - his time of 56.2277s was just 6/100ths of a second faster than Falcon rival and Canberra GMC 400 round winner Steven Johnson in his Shell Helix AU Falcon. Queenslander Paul Morris continued the super-fast form he has displayed all weekend at third overall, 2/10ths of a second behind Skaife's time in his Big Kev Racing VX Commodore.
The stage is now set for three thrilling Calder Park V8 Supercar sprint races tomorrow at 11:30am, 1:30pm and 3:30pm, with record crowds expected, as has been the trend with all Shell Championship Series rounds held across Australia this season.
The Holden vs Ford battle could not be more fierce, with three Falcons (Ambrose -5th, Larkham - 6th and Lowndes -8th) and three Commodores (Ingall - 7th, Bright - 9th, Murphy -10th) making up the Calder Park top ten V8 Supercar starting grid.
Calder Park is ready to host their 25th Australian Touring Car Championship / Shell Championship Series Round tomorrow (Sunday July 15) and today's performances have set the stage for a day that will rival the last 25 ATCC / SCS motor racing events at Melbourne's home of motorsport for action and excitement. /ends.
Full practice and race results of all categories competing at Calder Park tomorrow follow along with a selection of high resolution image links. For further information contact Calder Park Media Relations Manager, Paul Marinelli - 0417 558 655.
TOP TEN V8 SUPERCAR QUALIFIERS
1. Mark Skaife - Holden Racing Team Commodore VX - 56.2277s 2. Steven Johnson - Shell Helix Racing AU Falcon - 56.2902s 3. Paul Morris - Big Kev Racing Commodore VX - 56.4524s 4. Todd Kelly - KMart Racing Commodore VX - 56.4689s 5. Marcus Ambrose - Pirtek Racing AU Falcon - 56.5185s 6. Mark Larkham - Larkham Motorsport AU Falcon - 56.5663s 7. Russell Ingall - Castrol Perkins Racing Commodore VX - 56.6394s 8. Craig Lowndes - Gibson Motorsport AU Falcon - 56.7190s 9. Jason Bright - Holden Racing Team Commodore VX - 56.7829s 10. Greg Murphy - KMart Racing Team Commodore VX - 57.2326s.
Practice Session Results:
V8 Supercar Practice Session One 9:15am - 30 Mins - Fine and cool. (Top 5)
1. Mark Skaife - Holden Racing Team - Commodore VX - 56.9928s 2. Greg Murphy - Kmart Racing - Commodore VX - 57.0781s 3. Todd Kelly - Kmart Racing - Commodore VX - 57.0801s 4. Steve Ellery - SuperCheap Auto Racing AU Falcon - 57.1353s 5. Steven Johnson - Shell Helix Racing AU Falcon - 57.1452s
Current Lap Record - 55.9224s
V8 Supercar Practice Session Two 12:00pm - Fine and cool. 45 Minutes. (Top 5)
1. Paul Radisich - Shell Helix Racing - 56.7342s 2. Jason Bright - Holden Racing Team - 56.8913s 3. Mark Skaife - Holden Racing Team - 56.9996 4. Russell Ingall - Castrol Racing (Commodore VX) - 57.0823s. 5. Paul Morris - Big Kev Racing (Commodore VX) - 57.0918s
Qualifying Results - Formula Holden (Top 5)
1. Rick Kelly - Holden Young Lions - 53.7723s 2. Alan Gurr - Ralt Australia - 54.1305s 3. Christian Murchison - Hocking Motorsport - 54.4347s 4. Emerson Newton-John - Ralt Australia - 55.2333s 5. Peter Hill - M One 11 Racing - 55.3769s.
Formula Ford (Top 5)
1. Will Davison - 1:00.9212s 2. Will Power - 1:00.9311s 3. Jamie Whincup - 1:01.2380s 4. Chris Dell - 1:01.2632s 5. David Clark - 1:01.3087s
Saloon Cars (Top 5)
1. Anthony Evangelou - EB Falcon - 1:07.8644s 2. Bruce Heinrich - EA Falcon - 1:07.9808s 3. Vince Gatt - EA Falcon - 1:08.7489s 4. Scott Bargwanna - EA Falcon - 1:08.9878s 5. Shaun Jameson - VN Commodore - 1:09.5092s.
HQ Holden (Top 5)
1. Daniel Orr - 1:15.0517s 2. Glen McDonald - 1:15.2978s 3. Travis Lindorff -1:15.3665s 4. Russell Lang - 1:15.6752s 5. Kim Read - 1:15.7114s.
Saloon Cars - Race 1 - 1:25pm / 20 Laps - Results
1. B. Heinrich - EA Falcon 2. A. Evangelou - EB Falcon 3. Vince Gatt - EA Falcon.
HQ Holden Race 1 - 4:10pm 20 Laps - Results
1. T. Lindorff 2. D. Orr 3. K. Read
**Calder Park Shell Championship Series Round 7 - July 15 - General Information:**
Calder Park Raceway is located 24 kilometres west of Melbourne in an easy drive along the Calder Freeway. Abundant free parking is available at the venue.
Shuttle buses will be operating tomorrow , Sunday July 15, from St Albans Railway Station starting at 9:00am, with the last bus leaving Calder Park for St Albans Station at 5:35pm.
Adult tickets for Sunday $35 each (plus $15 pit access) with children 13 years of age and under admitted free of charge in line with Calder Park Motorsport policy. Tickets are available at Calder Park.
Calder Park Infoline -1900 937 445
Calder Park Website - www.motorsport.com.au