TEN BATHURST FACTS ABOUT WPS RACING WPS Racing's line up of Jason Bargwanna, Max Wilson, David Besnard and Craig Baird is a formidable combination for this weekend's Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000, round nine of the V8 Supercar Championship, at...
TEN BATHURST FACTS ABOUT WPS RACING
WPS Racing's line up of Jason Bargwanna, Max Wilson, David Besnard and Craig Baird is a formidable combination for this weekend's Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000, round nine of the V8 Supercar Championship, at Mount Panorama.
Detailed below are ten facts about WPS Racing:
- Between the quartet they have made 31 starts at Bathurst. Baird has made the most number of starts in 1000km journey with 11 races to his name, Bargwanna has ten with Besnard six and Wilson four.
- While Bargwanna is the only driver in the team to have won a Bathurst crown (2000), two of his counterparts, Baird and Besnard, both have had victories stolen from them in the past. Baird crossed the line first in 1997 before later being excluded due to a technicality, while Besnard was leading the race on debut when paired with Tony Longhurst before the latter crashed out with 10 laps remaining in 2000.
- Between the WPS quartet they have amassed an impressive 305 championship rounds. While some other teams can also boast figures equal to, or in excess of this, it is the fact all four have more than 50 rounds on their resume that sets them apart from the opposition.
- Baird and Besnard paired up in last year's race to record the team's best result of 2005 with an eighth place finish.
- During the first eight rounds of 2006 WPS Racing has qualified in the Top Ten four times and at Sandown, in the last round, both cars were in the Top Ten for the first time. Wilson started fourth while Bargwanna was one spot further back in fifth position.
- Baird is currently leading the Wright Patton Shakespeare Carrera Cup Championship by virtue of winning three of the five rounds contested so far in 2006.
- In 2006 Wilson has finished in the Top 12 four times out of eight while Bargwanna has had three Top 12s. Sandown was the best round ever for the WPS Racing as not only did they have both cars in the Top Ten on the grid but with Bargwanna and Baird finishing seventh and the Wilson/Besnard WPS Racing Falcon 11th, it was the first time both cars had finished inside the Top 12.
- Team principal Mark Larkham secured pole around the 6.21km Mount Panorama circuit in 1999.
- Bargwanna has had four top ten finishes at Bathurst including two podium results (1st 2000, 3rd 1998).
- Baird will be completing double duties this weekend as he is also contesting round six of the Wright Patton Shakespeare Carrera Cup which will consist of three eight-lap races throughout the event.
Practice around the 6.21km Mount Panorama circuit begins on Thursday October 5 followed by Qualifying and the top ten shootout across Friday and Saturday. The 161-lap race will begin at 10am on Sunday October 8.