Bathurst 1000 date deal confirmed

The Bathurst Regional Council has confirmed that a deal has been brokered for the Bathurst 1000 to go ahead on November 4-7.

Bathurst 1000 date deal confirmed

As first revealed by Motorsport.com, the Great Race will retain its revised November date despite a recent hiccup relating to a contract held by Challenge Bathurst organisers.

There is a two-week exclusivity period in Challenge Bathurst's contract, and with that event set to happen on November 11-16 there was a genuine threat to the Bathurst 1000 being able to go ahead.

However following negotiations between Supercars, the council and Challenge Bathurst today a deal has been reached for both events to proceed on their proposed dates.

Motorsport.com understands Supercars won't need to pay any compensation as part of the agreement.

“Council has held extensive discussions with both partners and is pleased to be able to announce that an agreement has been reached so that both events can proceed at Mount Panorama in November," said Bathurst mayor Ian North.

“As the owner of the Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit, one of the most iconic race tracks in the world, council wanted to ensure both events went ahead and has been instrumental in bringing about a resolution between all parties so this could occur.

“The council, and indeed the community, look forward to the return of motor racing at Mount Panorama this year and we are hopeful that we will also be able to welcome motor sport fans to the mountain for the Repco Bathurst 1000.

“Motorsports bring an economic boost to Bathurst and the surrounding region. Local businesses have been heavily impacted by the dramatic drop of tourism to regional areas in recent months and we look forward to both these event going ahead.”

Challenge Bathurst boss Greg Evans added: “The Challenge Bathurst team respects and understands the difficulties created for the Bathurst Regional Council by the rescheduling preferences of the Bathurst 1000.

"For the benefit of all parties, the Bathurst community and motorsport fans, we will now shift our focus and energies on every element critical to the viability of our event along with accommodating their event."

Supercars CEO Sean Seamer said the outcome is a win-win for all concerned.

“We’re glad to see that common sense has prevailed and we thank the Bathurst Regional Council for their support to ensure the Great Race date is confirmed for 4-7 November," he said.

"This is a win for the city of Bathurst along with our fans around the world."

shares
comments
Bathurst 1000 set to retain date

Previous article

Bathurst 1000 set to retain date

Next article

Perkins makes shock stroke revelation

Perkins makes shock stroke revelation
Load comments
How taming his temper shaped Supercars' slow-burn star Prime

How taming his temper shaped Supercars' slow-burn star

His decision to leave Brad Jones Racing was the biggest shock of the Australian Supercars silly season so far. But for Nick Percat, it comes as the culmination of a personal journey that has made him into one of the most rounded drivers in the series, now in search of a seat that can make him a champion

Supercars
Sep 17, 2021
Why replacing Supercars' GOAT with a teenager is worth the risk for T8 Prime

Why replacing Supercars' GOAT with a teenager is worth the risk for T8

On the face of it, picking an 18-year-old rookie to replace arguably the greatest Supercars driver of all time is a risky move. But as Jamie Whincup takes up a team principal role and hands his car to Broc Feeney, it's one that he is confident will be rewarded in the fullness of time - time which wasn't afforded to Whincup in his early days

Supercars
Sep 1, 2021
How Randle went from fighting cancer to battling for Supercars contention Prime

How Randle went from fighting cancer to battling for Supercars contention

After his fledgling career was paused by a battle with testicular cancer, Thomas Randle then had to wrestle with finding a drive in Supercars after he got the all-clear. It's been a long road for the Melbourne native but, after two lengthy battles, he's finally got a full-time drive to look forward to

Supercars
Jun 29, 2021
How crisis talks over Supercars’ Gen3 future could leave it without a paddle Prime

How crisis talks over Supercars’ Gen3 future could leave it without a paddle

With Supercars’ Gen3 era on the horizon, a shift is set to take place – in more ways than one – but, as has become clear in recent weeks, the plan to bin the stick and use paddles with electronic assisted shift has been met with fierce opposition

Supercars
May 24, 2021
Can DJR still be a Supercars powerhouse after Penske? Prime

Can DJR still be a Supercars powerhouse after Penske?

Roger Penske's whirlwind Australian Supercars sojourn is over. After six seasons, three drivers' titles, three teams' championships and a Bathurst 1000 crown, The Captain has sold his controlling stake in Dick Johnson Racing back to the squad and walked away from the category.

Supercars
Feb 26, 2021
Can Whincup be Triple Eight's ruthless leader? Prime

Can Whincup be Triple Eight's ruthless leader?

Supercars' most successful team of the past 15 years is set for a radical shakeup next year when Jamie Whincup retires from driving and takes over the reins at Triple Eight. But does he have what it takes to be the new Roland Dane?

Supercars
Feb 8, 2021
How a lifetime Supercars deal broke down in one year Prime

How a lifetime Supercars deal broke down in one year

David Reynolds inked what was effectively a lifetime deal with Erebus in 2019 – only to walk out a year later. What went wrong?

Supercars
Dec 18, 2020
Why Supercars now needs a new "human salt harvester" Prime

Why Supercars now needs a new "human salt harvester"

Scott McLaughlin has been a controversial figure in Supercars over the past few years but, as he heads off to a fresh challenge in IndyCar, the Australian tin-top series needs to find someone else to fill his drama-filled boots as the category enters a new era...

Supercars
Nov 3, 2020